+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ripping Madness

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I did 2,000 odd CDs 5 years ago, (on dial up, took over 3 months) and have now decided to start again, but I will probably stick with itunes and go WAV - once in WAV it can be converted to pretty much anything, and played on anything
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Well done Steve! I'm still ripping to my Mac Mini (917 CDs so far but the end in sight) and it is boring and time consuming work. The reward is the arrival of a Transporter this week to make it all worthwhile!!

Must get some back up drives......

Default ripping madness

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I did 2,000 odd CDs 5 years ago, (on dial up, took over 3 months) and have now decided to start again, but I will probably stick with itunes and go WAV - once in WAV it can be converted to pretty much anything, and played on anything
    i strongly suggest you don't use wav, why? well you'd have to tag and assign artwork to each individual file which is the real ballache, afterall slotting in a disc and pulling it out a minute later is easy.

of course it's entirely your choice but i suspect you'll soon get tired of typing every album/artist/song name/adding artwork and find yourself wishing you'd used apple lossless/aiff where itunes will automatically add all the info for you.

good luck
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve dixon View Post
    i strongly suggest you don't use wav, why? well you'd have to tag and assign artwork to each individual file which is the real ballache, afterall slotting in a disc and pulling it out a minute later is easy.

of course it's entirely your choice but i suspect you'll soon get tired of typing every album/artist/song name/adding artwork and find yourself wishing you'd used apple lossless/aiff where itunes will automatically add all the info for you.
    As with most things in life, if you pick the appropriate software the above statement is easily solved. MediaMonkey and TAG&RENAME do not have any of those limitations.

I'm Jim.

I bought a ReadyNAS Duo a few months ago.

Great bit of kit for backing up data. I'd heard the stories of how loud the fan is but it really isn't at all.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

good luck
    steve
    EAC does the tagging for you when ripping WAV, possibly not the artwork though.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

so right now i'm a happy bunny, now i just need a caimen and a sugden a21a or maybe a valve amp.
    I'd suggest one of these - I've not heard any of my valve-head friends speak badly of it. There's even a buy built option if you can't handle a soldering iron.

Chris

I'm Dan.

J-River Media Center does the lot, tagging, artwork, and names automatically for every format I can think of... mp3, aac, wav, apple lossless(I think), ogg, flac, aif, wma

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin66 View Post
    EAC does the tagging for you when ripping WAV, possibly not the artwork though.
    I use EAC myself, and no, it doesn't find the artwork.

Steve did earlier declare that he uses a Mac, so EAC is not an option, 'cos it's Windoze only.

Chris

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

you'll soon get tired of typing every album/artist/song name/adding artwork and find yourself wishing you'd used apple lossless/aiff where itunes will automatically add all the info for you.
    Indeed I would! But my limited experiments with itunes showed no difference in tagging when ripping to WAV or ALAC? I'm not bothered about the artwork - I only ever use the list view in itunes, and would rather have more space for tracks than the pics. But I do take your point, and others that say don't worry about it! Thing is, I spend all day with computers, so the last thing I want to do is bugger around - I just want itunes to do everything for me - lazy sod me!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast