+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Caymen mkii ?

I'm Gwyn.

Question Ultimate Caymen mkii ?

Hi Stan,

Are you producing the gatorised board for the Caiman mkii?
    If you are what's the price for the board together with latest firmware chip. Would this then give me the best sounding version.

Cheers

Gwyn
    I said "I'M A LITTLE DEAF"

There is no Gatorized board for the Caiman MKII. The upgrade consists of a couple of components plus the firmware. Have a look at it at http://www.beresford.me/S/modificati...7534/index.htm
    I now have all the parts, including the WIMA caps and Vishay resistors for the Venom-3 mod, and the caps and firmware for the Gator Mod.
    If you can solder then it is easy to do. Otherwise I can do the mod upon request. Just email or PM me. Costs varies, but best to email me on that.

I just like to add that those of you who prefer to drop by and have the two mods done whilst you wait, are welcome to do so. Put aside 30 minutes for the scheduled stop. PM me for parking instructions, cost, and anything else that might be relevant. And I look forward to some feedback on AoS from a couple of those who have had the mod done, or did it themselves.

I'm Gwyn.

Holy Granoli Batman

Stan what have you done? Just fitted the parts and chip, couldn't wait till the weekend.
    The only dac I've heard to blow me away like this is the Antelope at ten times the price. The sound now has the slam and dynamics of a top end vinyl system together with resolution and control.

I always thought it was the open airiness and tones coming from vinyl that makes it preferable. In the short time listening to this I now think it's something else. This dac is producing leading edges to notes that then have a natural decay, allowing you to hear the tone and harmonics of each note.

Now I have mine Stan.... Triple the price and retire to the Bahamas..... Amazing!

All I have to do now is work out how to try the three different modes Duh!

Gwyn
    Last edited by friendly; 19-05-2016 at 16:22.
    I said "I'M A LITTLE DEAF"

I'm Andy.

I have a Caiman 2 with SFW 3 at the moment. Is this the GFU update, or something else? If it's something else is it possible to get the unit upgraded with both GFU (as I'd like a bit more bass), and this one (because I might as well do it at the same time)?

Edit: I'd need to send it back to you as I have no DIY skill at all.

Yeah, it's the GFU mod. I ended up having to add it to a batch of Caiman MKII stock just so that buyers don't have to worry about sending their new DAC back. I can do it for £40 including parts and return postage to the UK for anyone who is not keen on soldering.
    Last edited by StanleyB; 19-05-2016 at 19:22.

I'm Gareth.

^ PM sent

I'm Richard.

I've just upgraded both my Bushmaster2 and Caiman2 with the Venom + Serum and Venom + Gator upgrades respectively. I did this myself.

I have yet to do a full analysis (wife is in the main room hosting a damn bookclub), but initial impressions are for a much fuller, slightly warmer, sound with better separation of instruments (both left and right and depth). Recommended!

For fellow DIYers: a pair of forceps/eyebrow tweezers; a soldering iron set at 400C; suitable solder and a suitable Philips screwdriver is all you need. My solder was not rosin cored so I used little amount of liquid flux on the solder on the PCB. A magnifying lens could also be useful.

Best wishes,

Richard.
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    I have yet to do a full analysis (wife is in the main room hosting a damn bookclub), but initial impressions are for a much fuller, slightly warmer, sound with better separation of instruments (both left and right and depth). Recommended!
    It's good, ain't it . The strange side effect of it all is that I am also getting a better sound on playback from the SSD in my laptop. I got my library backed up on a conventional USB drive as well, so I have been able to compare the two. Not sure why the internal SSD sounds so much better now, but I'll leave that diagnosis for another day.

I'm Stephen.

So my Caiman II arrived back from Stan Towers yesterday with the Venom 3 and Gator mods. I had attempted to do the mods myself but buggered up one of the capacitors

Anyway, after only a short time listening with CD and Spotify Bluetooth streaming from iPhone I am a very happy camper.
    These mods bring about another step change in SQ from an already phenomenal DAC. The improvement in instrument/voice definition / clarity / separation is remarkable. Dynamic range is extended with improved resolution of complex percussion. Bass depth, definition and control is much improved giving a presentation that's almost "tactile". The most analogue sounding digital replay ever.

Highly recommended.

Steve
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast