+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Caymen mkii ?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    So my Caiman II arrived back from Stan Towers yesterday with the Venom 3 and Gator mods. I had attempted to do the mods myself but buggered up one of the capacitors

Anyway, after only a short time listening with CD and Spotify Bluetooth streaming from iPhone I am a very happy camper.
    These mods bring about another step change in SQ from an already phenomenal DAC. The improvement in instrument/voice definition / clarity / separation is remarkable. Dynamic range is extended with improved resolution of complex percussion. Bass depth, definition and control is much improved giving a presentation that's almost "tactile". The most analogue sounding digital replay ever.

Highly recommended.

Steve
    Soldered the parts and upgraded firmware today. Improvements....all of the above.Well done again Stan!
    To make it easy to solder the really tiny caps, I suggest a fine solder tip, thin solder and a small blob of blutack to hold the parts in place so the legs contact the pads securely

I'm Tim.

I had Mitch Singerman do the upgrade for me, not many hours on it yet, very nice. using HD800s with a couple different amps. still wondering about the Capella.

I am pretty sure Stan said this power supply would work, may try it:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-322395-...rd-supply.aspx

I'm Lee.

Default Just do it!

I have two Caiman II DACs, one in my living room and one in my bedroom. Stan upgraded the living room DAC a few weeks ago and the improvement was dramatic. Having both the standard and updated Caiman II, I was able to compare and there really is no contest between the two. The standard Caiman II is a very good DAC, no question. BUT the upgraded Caiman II is in a completely different beast! Sounds are easily much more realistic, top to bottom. From the first few notes there is much more immediacy, resolution, clarity ... life. I'm going through all of my music collection and now several weeks after having the upgrade, I'm still amazed at the improvement I hear on every track. Needless to say, I upgraded my second Caiman II without any hesitation. If anyone is in any doubt about how good this DAC is, stop wondering and give it a go. Definitely get the upgraded version, it's a no- brainer.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I have two Caiman II DACs, one in my living room and one in my bedroom. Stan upgraded the living room DAC a few weeks ago and the improvement was dramatic. Having both the standard and updated Caiman II, I was able to compare and there really is no contest between the two. The standard Caiman II is a very good DAC, no question. BUT the upgraded Caiman II is in a completely different beast! Sounds are easily much more realistic, top to bottom. From the first few notes there is much more immediacy, resolution, clarity ... life. I'm going through all of my music collection and now several weeks after having the upgrade, I'm still amazed at the improvement I hear on every track. Needless to say, I upgraded my second Caiman II without any hesitation. If anyone is in any doubt about how good this DAC is, stop wondering and give it a go. Definitely get the upgraded version, it's a no- brainer.
    ....very interesting Lee - might get Stan to do this as a wee Xmas present to myself later in the year. BTW did your standard bedroom Caiman II have any of the previous mods eg. the one that gave 4 processing modes etc? Also I think on the latest mods the number of processing modes drops to 3 (which one of the 3 do you now use) ?
    Adam.

I'm Alex.

Found setting 3 is still my preferred option (Caiman II as well as modded version)

I'm Lee.

Default Option 3

Yes, both of my Caiman II's had the latest chip swaps installed before the upgrade. I used option 3 before the component upgrade and I am still finding option 3 to be the best choice. Again, I'm very satisfied with the decision to have the upgrade done. Every time I hear an old music track or movie soundtrack that I am very familiar with I am immediately struck at the huge improvement this upgrade has made.

I'm Adam.

Interesting Lee - thanks. BTW I use option 3 on the previous firmware on my Caiman II also.
    Adam.

I'm rupert.

Hi, will the latest upgrade be rolled into a future production lot ? Thank's

The. caiman with the mod is on my website as the Caiman GFU.

I'm rupert.

thank's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12