+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm Kevin.

I told a lie. The bass on the Hana SL is all there.
    I quite like this cartridge. It's not "airy fairy", but there is good spatial separation.
    It sounds very balanced across the frequency range, with nothing particularly dominating.

I will be interested to hear about your Decca journey.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I told a lie. The bass on the Hana SL is all there.
    I quite like this cartridge. It's not "airy fairy", but there is good spatial separation.
    It sounds very balanced across the frequency range, with nothing particularly dominating.

I will be interested to hear about your Decca journey.
    Your description of the Hana SL sounds like the Denon 301 mk2.

The Decca will be with me next week but it needs to go off to John Wright for a retip and rebuild. Maybe a while before it is up and running.

The model I am getting is the Mark V which had a redesigned magnetic circuit to address hum issues, it was also housed in a metal box and became the first of the "London" cartridges which are the ones most folk are familiar with. The metal housing can vibrate a bit, I used to damp it with a lump of blue tac! This cartridge also had the best coils that were fitted to any of the Decca cartridges.

I am hoping the Decca will work fine in my tonearm which is both a unipivot and damped. There is some contention around the mounting bracket used as it is a plastic affair that looks a bit crap but it does actually help reduced some of the vibration from the cartridge from transferring into the headshell. There are a few alternative mounting brackets made of metal which clamp the tin can,sorry cartridge, more firmly however these do change the sound. I have had it on very reliable advice to stay with the original bracket as this sounds the best and this is from a long time Decca user.

It is both an exciting and apprehensive decision to run a Decca again but my abiding memory from years back when I had one was listening to a very vivid and immediate sounding cartridge which will probably make even the 2M Black sound quite slow and tame.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

After a couple of months with the stunning Decca Blue on the VPI I have popped the 2M Black back on for a short while whilst the Blue goes for surgery. Immediately there is a loss in vitality, presence ,detail and dynamics.

The 2M sounds a lot softer and more restrained but it does have a bigger soundstage and micro detail.

Interesting going back when I thought the 2M was such a detailed vivid live performer, err not when you compare it to a Decca!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Yep I agree with every character of your last post.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

After a weekend with the 2M decided to go back to the Decca and postpone surgery!

Honestly the 2M is crap in comparison! And I thought this was a great cartridge.

I'm Brian.

Och yer deaf man

Sounds like you need a 2nd Decca to help with the withdrawals James

If you don't want the 2m black send it to me , I'm pretty sure it'll be better than what I've got the now
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

I have used many Deccas and still have a couple, but would sooner listen to the ZYX R100 H2 really. It offers the speed, clarity and incisiveness of the Deccas, but has deeper bass and rather better refinement. Marvellous imaging and depth too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have used many Deccas and still have a couple, but would sooner listen to the ZYX R100 H2 really. It offers the speed, clarity and incisiveness of the Deccas, but has deeper bass and rather better refinement. Marvellous imaging and depth too.
    That ZYX must be some cartridge Geoff.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Och yer deaf man

Sounds like you need a 2nd Decca to help with the withdrawals James

If you don't want the 2m black send it to me , I'm pretty sure it'll be better than what I've got the now
    You must have read my mind Brian, indeed I am looking at getting another Decca to run with the extended line contact stylus and keep my Blue as is.

I'm Andrew.

See if you can find a cheap Maroon.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast