+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm James.

Back in black again!

After sending the Kontrapunkt b back I returned to the 2M. Still a superb cartridge but lacks the refinement and subtle shading and tone of the KB. However it is still a wonderful insightful cartridge.

Listening late last night to the last track ( Swell does the skull) on the fabulous Aldous Harding album -Party I think the KB only just edged it in reality. MC cartridges seem to have a trick of floating sounds in space with a slightly ethereal quality compared to the more grounded MM cartridge. I suppose this transparency is one the best attributes certainly of the Kontrapunkt B.

Ah well I am happy to return to the 2M for a while and enjoy its dynamic live vitality.

I'm Mike.

I'm going to try my one again as I've changed the setting I use on the SMARTractor.

I'm James.

I think it was Rob who mentioned a few days ago' when you got the jockey in the saddle' it really is a superb cartridge.

I have had mine off and on the my TT so often I can set it up blindfolded.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think it was Rob who mentioned a few days ago' when you got the jockey in the saddle' it really is a superb cartridge.

I have had mine off and on the my TT so often I can set it up blindfolded.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mick.

Great cart. Just loves to be in the correct position to give its all.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm James.

Well after swapping to the SPOTFIRE cable the 2M Black has changed character slightly. Gone is the slightly edgy top end and the tendency to harden up on some recordings. It now sounds much more refined but still with all the detail, dynamic live sound I have appreciated for the last 3-4 years.

The power and gravitas this cartridge has is stunning, and its 3D rendering of instruments is very noticeable. I have set this cartridge up more times than I care to remember and can now install it absolutely spot on. I am aware I have now been writing about this cartridge for a long time but as with all aspects of equipment you don't always appreciate all its qualities straight away and over the years I have been drawn to more of the 2M blacks capabilities.

I know for some the 2M cartridge can be too much or they just don't get on with it but when it works with your system in a balanced way it is simply a fabulous cartridge. I think bright speakers and solid state electronics can over egg the pudding so I would suggest valve amplification and soft fabric dome tweeters are your friend.

I have been down a long and interesting path with cartridges over the last few years and indeed have been selling many of them off as I have now found what really works with my system. They have all had their own strengths and weaknesses but the 2M has almost none in my system especially now the new cable has given the cartridge a more favourable capacitance. All this just goes to show system synergy is everything and you have to trust your own judgement on this. The road to audio Nirvana can be a tortuous one but when you reach it you know it!

I have decided now that I will end my search for the perfect cartridge and focus on other areas of my system in future that can be tweaked.

Bigman80 Guest

I think that's a wise move, Jim. Having heard your system, I think you need that rawness and (at times) slightly edgy treble of the 2MBK. You have put together a really good sounding system and I think you'd have to spend a fair bit of money to start seeing big improvement.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I think that's a wise move, Jim. Having heard your system, I think you need that rawness and (at times) slightly edgy treble of the 2MBK. You have put together a really good sounding system and I think you'd have to spend a fair bit of money to start seeing big improvement.
    You may need to reappraise my system Oli as the 2M no longer sounds edgy due to the SPOTFIRE cable.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You may need to reappraise my system Oli as the 2M no longer sounds edgy due to the SPOTFIRE cable.
    Ah, good point. I don't want to take ALL the credit for your new found happiness but..............

Just kidding, I'll definitely come and have a listen when time allows but I know you have a few big things going on so no rush.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah, good point. I don't want to take ALL the credit for your new found happiness but..............

Just kidding, I'll definitely come and have a listen when time allows but I know you have a few big things going on so no rush.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast