+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You are absolutely right, when you hit the sweet spot it is a revelation and pure joy.
    I need to hear this James

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I need to hear this James
    I think you would find the Decca more interesting to listen too. I need to get mine retipped soon as I could not live with the odd bit of mistracking. A nice line contact should do it and then it will be like a 2M on steroids!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ian.

As the detergent for record cleaning did not arrive yesterday I thought I'd spend some time, most of yesterday in the end, attempting to find the 2M's " G spot ". Having recently changed the arm from a SME 3009S2 to a Mission 774 I am keen to get the best from it and as we know the 2M is a bit of a challenge to hit audio nirvana. I had it in the right-ish place but thought it could give more so out with the Allen keys, digital scales and feeler gauges. After a lot of very tiny alterations to both VTA and VTF I started to notice a clarity not there before so I raised the VTA another .5mm and WOW, it just seemed to come alive with energy and realism, the individual instruments were all there in perfect balance and the vocals wonderfully precise. I moved the VTA a little further and it lost it's sparkle so quickly put it back to the previous setting. As best as I can gauge the VTA is around 2 degrees down at the back of the arm and the VTF is bang on 1.7g. Fiddly little sod that it is the 2M Black is so worth persisting with.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

Bigman80 Guest

The 774 is doing the job I see. A good arm get the best from the cartridge!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The 774 is doing the job I see. A good arm get the best from the cartridge!!!

Very, very happy with the 774 and I'm even beginning to like it's looks haha.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Very, very happy with the 774 and I'm even beginning to like it's looks haha.
    Hahaha. It does grow on you. You'd have to spend A LOT more to do any better imo.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    As the detergent for record cleaning did not arrive yesterday I thought I'd spend some time, most of yesterday in the end, attempting to find the 2M's " G spot ". Having recently changed the arm from a SME 3009S2 to a Mission 774 I am keen to get the best from it and as we know the 2M is a bit of a challenge to hit audio nirvana. I had it in the right-ish place but thought it could give more so out with the Allen keys, digital scales and feeler gauges. After a lot of very tiny alterations to both VTA and VTF I started to notice a clarity not there before so I raised the VTA another .5mm and WOW, it just seemed to come alive with energy and realism, the individual instruments were all there in perfect balance and the vocals wonderfully precise. I moved the VTA a little further and it lost it's sparkle so quickly put it back to the previous setting. As best as I can gauge the VTA is around 2 degrees down at the back of the arm and the VTF is bang on 1.7g. Fiddly little sod that it is the 2M Black is so worth persisting with.
    Interesting your at the upper end of the recommended VTF fir the 2M but with your arm and TT this is obviously where you need to be to hit the sweet spot. Even though I have had one for 3 years I still find them frustrating but fabulous when you get them right!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Interesting your at the upper end of the recommended VTF fir the 2M but with your arm and TT this is obviously where you need to be to hit the sweet spot. Even though I have had one for 3 years I still find them frustrating but fabulous when you get them right!
    I first had the 2m on an LP12/Ittok that was set up by an " expert " and then on the Toshiba/SME and now with the 774 and it definitely sounds the best it ever has for me. As you say James, very frustrating but persevere and the rewards are great.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm jamie.

for reference my 'sweet spot' is here with 1.54 tracking weight,i used to use 1.67 but like jimbo found its seems better lower.
    next job is to find it for 180g vinyl

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    for reference my 'sweet spot' is here with 1.54 tracking weight,i used to use 1.67 but like jimbo found its seems better lower.
    next job is to find it for 180g vinyl

Jamie your tonearm angle looks very similar to mine and the cartridge body looks bang on. The lower VTF does seem to sound better I feel, nice you found it good too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast