+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Be prepared for some frustration on setting the cart up. Once it's done just leave alone and play!
    Absolutely Andy! Thanks

I'm James.

Nice one Rob, hope it works out well in your system.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

I usually run my 2M at 1.6g VTF but after tweaking the VTA I decided to back off the weight to 1.5g. This has produced a significantly better result with more air and greater realism. It's almost like focusing a camera. There is an ideal VTF / VTA for the 2M but because you are altering both its tricky to find and it maybe a different combination for any given tonearm and turntable. However when you find it things certainly snap into place.

Interestingly I have tracked the 2M at 1.5g and lower before but never hit the sweet spot so this must be in collaboration with the VTA. Now to some this maybe obvious but for those new to the 2M it is worth bearing in mind. Bit like putting together a 3D puzzle. I would say just start with 1.5g and adjust VTA accordingly but as you adjust VTA the VTF changes.

No wonder some folks get frustrated and don't achieve the ideal set up!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm jamie.

interesting as that is the optimum weight ortofon recommends.
    how would you describe the sweet spot,i played with my vta and went lower than i thought would be best,all of a sudden i found the vocals and instruments all balanced out,with lots of instruments playing at once i could hear them all individually.
    initially it sounded less dynamic but i stuck with it and all the detail is still there.
    does that go with your findings
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    interesting as that is the optimum weight ortofon recommends.
    how would you describe the sweet spot,i played with my vta and went lower than i thought would be best,all of a sudden i found the vocals and instruments all balanced out,with lots of instruments playing at once i could hear them all individually.
    initially it sounded less dynamic but i stuck with it and all the detail is still there.
    does that go with your findings
    There is a fine balance with the VTA, if you go too low you will know it because it starts to sound a bit heavy and dull and you loose the top end detail and space around the instruments etc. I think higher tracking force is only necessary if you are getting distortion, sibelance or poor tracking. I feel the lower you can go with the VTF the more air and detail you get but if you go too far distortion will creep in.

All good fun.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I usually run my 2M at 1.6g VTF but after tweaking the VTA I decided to back off the weight to 1.5g. This has produced a significantly better result with more air and greater realism. It's almost like focusing a camera. There is an ideal VTF / VTA for the 2M but because you are altering both its tricky to find and it maybe a different combination for any given tonearm and turntable. However when you find it things certainly snap into place.

Interestingly I have tracked the 2M at 1.5g and lower before but never hit the sweet spot so this must be in collaboration with the VTA. Now to some this maybe obvious but for those new to the 2M it is worth bearing in mind. Bit like putting together a 3D puzzle. I would say just start with 1.5g and adjust VTA accordingly but as you adjust VTA the VTF changes.

No wonder some folks get frustrated and don't achieve the ideal set up!
    Absolutely Jimbo,
    The 2MB is a precision piece of kit, It will just not sound like the stellar cart it is until you have it optimally set so that it's Shibata stylus rides properly in the groove.
    And yes, with careful, steady on the fly vta it kind of snaps into 'focus'.

The first time it happened to me was an absolute revelation
    1. I wasnt expecting that to happen
    2. The way it played the music from that point on as I say a revelation along my hifi journey

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Absolutely Jimbo,
    The 2MB is a precision piece of kit, It will just not sound like the stellar cart it is until you have it optimally set so that it's Shibata stylus rides properly in the groove.
    And yes, with careful, steady on the fly vta it kind of snaps into 'focus'.

The first time it happened to me was an absolute revelation
    1. I wasnt expecting that to happen
    2. The way it played the music from that point on as I say a revelation along my hifi journey
    Hi Rob, I am always learning with the 2M Black having had one in my system now for 3 years. You are absolutely right, when you hit the sweet spot it is a revelation and pure joy.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    A Decca? Never heard one, but it's on the list of things to try and get a listen to.

I am also still tempted by a Music Maker. I have heard so much about them, but this won't be until next year.
    I think I have bought enough cartridges this year already.
    I borrowed a music maker. It sounded as dull as dish water.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I borrowed a music maker. It sounded as dull as dish water.
    A Decca won't sound dull.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    A Decca won't sound dull.
    It won't sound like any other cartridge either.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast