+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Kef iQ7, harsh?

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I didn't find them particularly 'harsh' just bl**dy boring and uninvolving.
    Ah that... probably too "hifi", that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It is a shame that so many of our British companies are now just names hiding a Chinese manufacturer. Once upon a time these were innovative and quality companies now they just ship out run of the mill boxes for the What Hi-Fi reader....
    Yep, sad. But ! Fortunately new companies come up, they are still small, but growing. I guess we have to switch, that's all. And it's surely the most "educated" who can advise the others.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

The iQ7 have gone to a new home. I couldn't bear their immense harshness any longer. The nail in their coffin was when I replaced them with my old K120 bookshelf Kefs on wobbly coffee tables for stands and sat back with my iPod remote in hand. what a difference, beautifully smooth, like the silk the tweeters are made out of. Next time I think I should steer clear of titanium or metal coated anything, I'll listen to myself.

As for what's replacing them, I've found a pair of K160 Kefs. With luck, they'll give me the small amount of missing LF I have with my K120s, however, compared with the iQ7 these have cost me nothing and if they don't work I'll use them for my Yule Log and buy some atacama's for my K120s ;-)

That's my update.......so far.
    Steve

Life is not a trial run.

I'm Phil.

heard the iq9 once and was very impressed for the money
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Neil.

No I don't think they are harsh either. The IQ4 and IQ9 are better. The IQ7s just failed to be very inspiring. We sold most 4 & 7s for AV use with Yamaha or Denon amplifiers.

The IQ9 is a very good mass produced speaker.

Kef are a Chinese company now, still designed in the UK but thats all.

Are you using the original links ? If so bin them they are crap...either BI-Wire or make links out of the cable you are using. The 7's like to be a wee bit closer to a back wall than you might think. Make sure they are fully stable. level and only slightly toed in...only a smidge. Do not use QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable . Way to bright and thin. QED XT300 or 400 is a better match with these speakers or anything just the warmer side of neutral or neutral.

What amp etc are you using ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12