+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YAMAHA NS-1000M with MARANTZ PM-4

I'm Deleted.

When I've heard valve amps driving the NS-1000Ms I've always found the bass lacking a bit in 'grip' and having a different character to the rest of the frequency range - you may find quite different though and I've not heard the Yammies with a PM4.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

I'll let you know this time next week

I'm Geoff.

I agree with Mark; they like something good up them!

The PM4 should be a great match. I was surprised, given their quoted efficiency, how much difference extra power made. A great speaker nevertheless; truly great.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Scott.

Nine times out of ten, when you've reached a moderate sensitivity level with the speakers, it's the system impedance load and how reactive it is that tends to have the greatest impact. If the amplifier can't swing sufficient current, that's where you get dynamic compression. Based on fallible memory, the NS-1000m isn't the friendliest load on the planet, but it's nothing to cause major issues either; sensitivity is lurking around the mid-high 80s, there's a ~25ohm peak around 500Hz presumably due to the electrical offset of the low-pass & the HF leg of the midrange BP. LF range has the charateristic single peak of a sealed box, again lurking around 30ohm point. There are far more unpleasent loads on the planet. If you want to drive them loud in large rooms, they'll need a big amp of course, but for more moderate sized rooms & SPLs, you should be fine with > 40w, accepting a bit of LF compression on large dynamic peaks.
    Last edited by ScottL; 14-05-2016 at 19:35. Reason: fixed typo

I'm Martin.

Why is it that people who only listen to girl with guitar and other hi-fi noodling, quietly, in small rooms, never get that if you want Sabbath the way it was meant to be heard you are going to need more than 20 watts? And think just because the amp has no power it must intrinsically be better than one that can actually drive the speakers without clipping?

Rhetorical rant over, please drive on by.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I can only speak about audible differences because I don't understand the science. I own both amps so I have no reason to prefer one combination than another.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Deleted.

I think it is much as Scott outlines above. At the end of the day, irrespective of the specs, the NS-1000M is a 12" driver sealed into a box with quite a small internal volume and it has to compress that air to get the driver moving.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Why is it that people who only listen to girl with guitar and other hi-fi noodling, quietly, in small rooms, never get that if you want Sabbath the way it was meant to be heard you are going to need more than 20 watts? And think just because the amp has no power it must intrinsically be better than one that can actually drive the speakers without clipping?

Rhetorical rant over, please drive on by.
    I usually find the exact opposite!!! People who listen to "girl with guitar and other hi-fi noodling, quietly, in small rooms" with say 30 WPC RMS or more asking me "don't you think it would sound better if I get a 100WPC amp to 'drive the speakers properly with plenty of current'?" .... NO it would make no difference as you are never using more than 2W anyway!!

The logarithmic nature of hearing is what gets people... loud may well be 10W but if you want it twice as loud again you need 100W! Hence the issue is when it's already pretty damn loud but then you think "I'll turn it up just a bit more".....

I suppose to paraphrase it's surprising how little power it takes to give volumes where it's difficult to talk without raising voice/mild shouting but also surprising just how much power it takes to go up from there to "live band levels"
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Deleted.

This next will be a little controversial - but I think that often people actually like the sound of their amp as it goes into clipping (as long as it isn't too severe).
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Maybe that is speaker-dependant? - Some are so stodgy-sounding that a little distortion just livens up the sound a bit. Yams would be the opposite. I'd say you want the signal as clean as possible with them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast