+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YAMAHA NS-1000M with MARANTZ PM-4

I'm Andrew.

Default YAMAHA NS-1000M with MARANTZ PM-4

Hi Guys & girls , So I am lucky enough ( incredibly lucky ) to have got my hands on the Mint Marantz PM4 and never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd own a pair of mint Yamaha ns1000m's ( well I collect them next week ) now I'm thinking that these 2 will be a match made in heaven , am I right ???
    Your VERY valued opinions would be very interesting.

I'm Geoff.

I don't know the power output of the Marantz, but there are those who suggest that the NS-1000 require upwards of 50 watts behind them. However, They are not particularly insensitive and I have heard them sounding very good with relatively modest valve amps driving them.

The same is said about big Tannoys, but I get pretty damn fine and solid results from 25 proper Class A watts.

I personally reckon you'll get some nice enough results.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Walpurgis, the Marantz puts out 15w in class a and 60w otherwise ( I think ) , otherwise I could try my Accuphase e203 (75w)

I'm Dan.

Give them a try i think they will be a match made in heaven but who knows....vintage HI-FI at its best all you can do is try and hope for the best.

I wish you luck....

LUCKY SOD......
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Andrew.

Can't believe it myself!!
    Thank you

I'm Martin.

That is a combo I have always wanted to hear. Let us know how it goes, with pictures if possible.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

I will do , and you'd be welcome to pop in and listen for yourself.

I'm Deleted.

It will be interesting to hear how you find the class A versus the amps A/B option. As stated above, the NS1000M is quite efficient but it isn't as benign a load as one may think. I also have a pair (a really great speaker in my opinion) but choose to drive them with a lot of wattage (75wpc on the mid/tweeter and a further 300wpc on the bass) - but I have heard them driven by low wattage valve amps.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

I just hope the 2 work together as I'd be loathed to get rid of either of them , but I've always got my Accuphase to fall back on which in my opinion comes close to the Marantz.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You could go active, using both amps, folk on here have done this.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast