+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which speakers after Mission 752 Freedom

I'm Robert.

Default Which speakers after Mission 752 Freedom

Despite upgrading most areas of my system i just cant seem to let these babies go. They do so much right and are an audiophile bargain IMO / IME.
    They were the first 'proper' speaker I'd ever owned and still continue to bring a big smile no matter how much I upgrade, they too just get better.
    If you are unfamiliar with them, the sound is balanced, detailed, tight punchy bass, rather than low and weighty.

The Aerogel mid-bass driver is a peach portraying vocals beautifully as well as instrument textures, nuances and detail where the music is in the mids and imaging is superb. Very importantly non fatiguing - I can listen these for hours on end

They are solid and well built and in my view look good in small to medium sized rooms.

If I had to keep them then hey ho! no probs However ..........

If at some point I did scratch that itch what would you recommend as a genuine 'upgrade' 'improvement' over these ?

I'm after all the above in upgrade form ..... tricky ?

Spendors have been mentioned previously and caught my radar particularly the S8e's
    Kef Reference maybe? which ones though ?
    Any others ?
    Keep the 752's ?.....

I'm James.

If you do 'upgrade' Robert, keep your missions,just in case!!!
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    If you do 'upgrade' Robert, keep your missions,just in case!!!
    That did cross my mind James and a very intelligent response - Thanks. (Not that they' be hard to replace mind you, but I know mine which are in fab nick)

I'm James.

Funny how we become attached to bits of hi-fi, I have no room for my usher s520's,but I just can't part with em!
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Andr'e.

I have a soft spot for Missions but strictly the early to mid 80's models tho..

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    I have a soft spot for Missions but strictly the early to mid 80's models tho..
    The 752 Freedoms were mid nineties and arguably the best of the 75's. Have read numerous times that it went down hill from there

I'm Andr'e.

Na no fanks

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

They're a hard habit to break. I got mine as a second hand stopgap because I couldn't settle on the ideal pair of new speakers at the time and they've stayed with me for six years. You describe them well, I'd say a fast, tight bass and delightfully smooth vocals. Warm and easy to listen to for a long session. Less fussy about positioning than some which I put down to having front as well as rear ports.

I moved them to a bigger room recently to play with the other toys below. They're benefitting from it since if I have one criticism it's that at low volume that seductive top end is so polite that it goes missing. I eventually got a pair of PMC GBis which are more detailed all round at low levels for use in the smaller room, but then again they're the best part of 20 years newer and allowing for inflation the RRP would be about a third higher than the 752Fs were originally. You might well find them bright by comparison, they're certainly crisper.

The 752Fs are a steal at their second hand price - mine were £125. I think we've been spoiled by them, and while I've not heard Minstrels or ELAs which spring to mind as bargain buys that seem to have fans, I reckon it's a price hike before you can be certain of "better".

Pete

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Despite upgrading most areas of my system i just cant seem to let these babies go. They do so much right and are an audiophile bargain IMO / IME.
    They were the first 'proper' speaker I'd ever owned and still continue to bring a big smile no matter how much I upgrade, they too just get better.
    If you are unfamiliar with them, the sound is balanced, detailed, tight punchy bass, rather than low and weighty.

The Aerogel mid-bass driver is a peach portraying vocals beautifully as well as instrument textures, nuances and detail where the music is in the mids and imaging is superb. Very importantly non fatiguing - I can listen these for hours on end

They are solid and well built and in my view look good in small to medium sized rooms.

If I had to keep them then hey ho! no probs However ..........

If at some point I did scratch that itch what would you recommend as a genuine 'upgrade' 'improvement' over these ?

I'm after all the above in upgrade form ..... tricky ?

Spendors have been mentioned previously and caught my radar particularly the S8e's
    Kef Reference maybe? which ones though ?
    Any others ?
    Keep the 752's ?.....
    Your speaker description matches my taste Rob. I am going to try the Spendor D7 sometime when I upscale my SP2's.
    The D7 might suit your taste, I would certainly give them a listen.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Your speaker description matches my taste Rob. I am going to try the Spendor D7 sometime when I upscale my SP2's.
    The D7 might suit your taste, I would certainly give them a listen.
    The D7's would be sought if I was fortunate to have that sort of disposable cash. A realistic hope is the S8e's but some other priority has always reared its head - damn !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast