+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 5e Connection Advice.

I'm Bob.

Default Cat 5e Connection Advice.

I've just finished running a cat 5e cable through a tortuous route in my house (behind walls, through the attic, under the floor boards Aghhh!!) and now it's time to make the cable ends off.

Stage 1: One end is a Sky Ethernet Hub with a NAS device plugged in: the other (different room, different floor) is a Cyrus Stream X2.

My interpretation (courtesy of Wiki) is that I need to adopt a "Straight Through" cable configuration from Hub to Cyrus - same as a patch cable - rather than a "Crossover" configuration.

Is anyone able to confirm this for me please?

Stage 2: (sometime in the future)

Unplug the cable from the Cyrus and insert a "switch", then connect the switch to the Cyrus and put the NAS adjacent, connected into the switch. I can then take another lead off the switch and connect to a TV box or similar.

Again, are these "Straight Through" cable configurations?

Please go easy, vinyl was never this tricky.................
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Mark.

Yes it is a straight through cable, pin 1 to 1, pin 2 to 2 etc and follow the correct colour codes for each pin.

https://www.computercablestore.com/s...ollover-wiring

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

As Mark said, a straight through connection is appropriate.
    You're not going to crimp RJ45 plugs on the cable ends are you?
    Best of British if you are

You're far better off fitting proper network outlets and connecting the kit to the outlets with patch leads.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Bob.

Thanks Mark. That's nice and clear.

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    As Mark said, a straight through connection is appropriate.
    You're not going to crimp RJ45 plugs on the cable ends are you?

Best of British if you are

You're far better off fitting proper network outlets and connecting the kit to the outlets with patch leads.
    Yes, the plan is RJ45 plugs on each end thereby minimising the connections...... up to receiving your note. I had pondered outlets but it's another joint in the line.

It'll also make it easier when the switch goes in later.

Could be.

Tell me why it's a bad idea. You have my attention.

I'm Neal.

As Chris said terminate at an outlet plate. It's neater and more flexible than terminating with an RJ45. You'll have this bit of cable sticking out of the wall and you'll have to plan for the correct length, if you decide to move your kit later you could be a bit stuck! With an outlet you can simply plug in a longer patch lead. Another connection shouldn't cause you an issue.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    As Chris said terminate at an outlet plate. It's neater and more flexible than terminating with an RJ45. You'll have this bit of cable sticking out of the wall and you'll have to plan for the correct length, if you decide to move your kit later you could be a bit stuck! With an outlet you can simply plug in a longer patch lead. Another connection shouldn't cause you an issue.
    ^^^ this
    Just do it properly. CAT5/6 modules in plate, cable patched into it. Than you can plugged what ever length you may need

It's not audio cable.
    It doesn't carry audio signal, so don't think of it in such terms.

Minimising connections is not going to be beneficial.
    Terminating it properly is going to be beneficial.

If you have pulled in proper Cat5e installation cable it's solid core.
    It's meant to be terminated onto patch panels and RJ45 outlets, using an insulation displacement tool.
    You can put an RJ45 outlet at each end.

It's important that you get the wires in the correct order - if you don't connect the cable pairs as pairs, and with the correct polarity then your cable will not have appropriate impedance, and RFI rejection will be compromised.
    Your network will not work if your cable leg pairs are not the correct polarity.

Back to the cable - if it hasn't got Cat5e and an ISO number printed on it it isn't Cat5e.
    If it has economy network cable printed on it it's CCA (copper clad aluminium), and it needs ripping out and replacing. CCA is shit, and it's not fit for purpose.
    If your cable is stranded it's not meant to be used over long distances - it's meant to be used for making up patch leads.
    Chris

As Neal pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    A patch lead is also easily replaced should it get damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    ^^^ this
    Just do it properly. CAT5/6 modules in plate, cable patched into it. Than you can plugged what ever length you may need
    I'm with Richard, especially with the emboldened bit.
    Chris

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Yes, the plan is RJ45 plugs on each end thereby minimising the connections...... up to receiving your note. I had pondered outlets but it's another joint in the line.

It'll also make it easier when the switch goes in later.
    As everyone else is saying fitting the wall plates/outlets would be best and a proper job but fitting connectors to the cable will work if you have suitable connectors for solid core cable and the crimp tool if that's how you want to do it for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast