+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Goodmans Red Alnico Magnet Speakers

I'm Dan.

Default Unusual Goodmans Red Alnico Magnet Speakers

Hello

I thought i would go and look at an add that came up online just to see what drivers are in these had a look and their red goodmans magnet i know theirs cheap oval speakers from goodmans but these are weird. Only markings on them are RS at the back? took couple of photos but will take the back off and take one of the drivers later...

I know their are no marking on them but im just wondering....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

Strange. I don't recall Goodmans making larger elliptical drivers, unless the photos are deceiving me and the cabinets are actually quite small. Larger British ellipticals are usually from EMI or Fane. There used to be French and German examples too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Strange. I don't recall Goodmans making larger elliptical drivers, unless the photos are deceiving me and the cabinets are actually quite small. Larger British ellipticals are usually from EMI or Fane. There used to be French and German examples too.
    Hi Geoff

Unless their your usual ones but just wondering couple of pictures of the internals as promised.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

Ah. They definitely are smaller than I'd thought. What are they, 6" by 9"? I think I've seen those before somewhere. I'd imagine they'll sound quite nice. Ideal for use on a modest open baffle with a supertweeter.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Ah. They definitely are smaller than I'd thought. What are they, 6" by 9"? I think I've seen those before somewhere. I'd imagine they'll sound quite nice. Ideal for use on a modest open baffle with a supertweeter.
    Hi

Yep i thought they were bigger in scale so went to view going by the picture but their quite tiny i believe their 6 by 9 i was allowed to take the back of to see what the driver were and was surprised just put them on a nytech and they seem fine quite nice if a tad bright i thought for £10 i would give them a go....

What year would you say? I dont think their a kit speaker i think a manufacture made them but find this out is somewhat tricky...
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

Can't say for sure, but made in the sixties I reckon.

I'm Dan.

Can't say for sure, but made in the sixties I reckon.
    Cool,

Im just wondering have i got the wiring right...from the first picture of the driver what you you say Left & Right as i cant tell and dont want to get it wrong theirs no marking for Red + output if this makes sense?

No worries if not....
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

Just touch a small, low voltage battery across the terminals intermittently. Whichever way round moves the cone forward a bit has the battery positive touching the speaker positive terminal. Don't try this with tweeters, they can blow.

I'm nigel.

looks like a bit of cheap hardboard for the back.
    I'd make a new back with something a bit thicker/stiffer....It may stand proud of the cab but could be chamfered or sanded back to look neat.

NIGE.

I'm Geoff.

Why not keep the original backs and just glue something thicker to them that fits within the case wall battens just leaving a lip of the original back to screw down with?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast