+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hola!

Default Hola!

Hello.

*shuffles awkwardly*

I'm not very good at introductions.

Music is a big love of mine, and I mainly listen to it on vinyl, or vinyl recorded onto my iPod for the car. My rudimentary 'gear' consists of a 10 year-old Rega Planar 2 (with poorly-matched Grado Black cartridge), an old Pioneer SA-408 amp (with matching tape deck and tuner), and Tannoy M3 speakers (I've also got a pair of ancient Wharfedale Dovedale 3s sat around looking sad in our spare room). It all sits on a Stands Unique stand that's with some irony probably worth more than all the equipment that's on it.

My music taste is, I suppose, what used to be called 'indie', before that term became soiled: The Fall, My Bloody Valentine, Billy Childish, Belle & Sebastian, Mogwai, The Velvet Underground, dEUS, Pavement, Nick Cave...

I haven't got a great deal of hifi knowledge, so I guess I'm here with more questions than answers.

Thanks,

Howard

I'm Steve.

Hi Howard and welcome.

Lovely part of the country Derbyshire.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Howard,
    Although I've said welcome to you elsewhere, I'll say it again here.
    Welcome to the Art of Sound!!
    You shouldn't be nervous! we're all a pretty friendly bunch & best of all, there's no-one here who is judgemental about other people's equipment, I can honestly say that I've never read anything of that sort here and relatively speaking, I've been here quite a long time, so don't ever feel that your opinion isn't valid.

Great taste in music, by the way. I'd be interested to get some recommendations on Billy Childish's back catalogue from you!

I'm David.

Hello again Howard
    I haven't been here very long and I have learnt a LOT about this subject! I don't think anyone minds if you ask a lot of questions!
    Have fun
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Howard,
    Although I've said welcome to you elsewhere, I'll say it again here.
    Welcome to the Art of Sound!!
    You shouldn't be nervous! we're all a pretty friendly bunch & best of all, there's no-one here who is judgemental about other people's equipment, I can honestly say that I've never read anything of that sort here and relatively speaking, I've been here quite a long time, so don't ever feel that your opinion isn't valid.

Great taste in music, by the way. I'd be interested to get some recommendations on Billy Childish's back catalogue from you!
    I'm quickly realising how helpful and friendly this forum is, thanks everyone.

I'm only a quite-recent convert to Billy Childish, actually; because he's so prolific (120-odd albums in 30 years? That makes Mark E. Smith look lazy!) I found his back catalogue completely impenetrable (where to start?), so when a 51-track career summary compilation (on the Damaged Goods site, here) came out, it was the ideal taster. I particularly like his stuff as/with Thee Headcoatees, Thee Milkshakes and the recent Buff Medways and Musicians of the British Empire stuff, but it's all good.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I'm quickly realising how helpful and friendly this forum is, thanks everyone.
    your catchin on quick buddy, its a reet good comunity this place!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

......because he's so prolific (120-odd albums in 30 years? That makes Mark E. Smith look lazy!) I found his back catalogue completely impenetrable (where to start?)........
    Hehehe!
    That's kind of why I need some recommendations! - So we're both in pretty much the same boat then!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Like everyone else has said, welcome to the forum Howard - your music taste sounds like a John Peel festive 50! (We've been discussing his Kats Karavan compilation on another thread - you might find some interesting links there, not sure if you use Spotify, but some fab links to playlists in there. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...9125#post79125)

Enjoy the ride!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'd not heard of the Kats Karavan compilation — I've just seen the tracklisting, and it looks a far more fitting tribute to him than other compilations that have been released since his death. (Though obviously there are just so many songs that could have been on there...)

I had no idea that the Festive 50s were up on Spotify; I'll be sure to check them out, thanks.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes, everyone. Glad to be here.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Howard,

Welcome to AoS. Can't really add any more to what has already been said. Don't feel bashfull - you have already made a contribution: I hadn't heard of Billy Childish, so there you go - we all live and learn here on AoS.

Enjoy the forum.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread