View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

1 8.33%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

2 16.67%
  • 6/10

2 16.67%
  • 7/10

3 25.00%
  • 8/10

1 8.33%
  • 9/10

1 8.33%
  • 10/10

2 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Album Club, May 2016: David Bowie - 'Black Star'

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, May 2016: David Bowie - 'Black Star'

The Album Club choice for May come courtesy of Laurence (Hackney RF) with a timely and appropriate tribute to David Bowie and his final album - 'Black Star'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

David Bowie - Black Star

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blac...d_Bowie_album)

I had a very long time to think about my suggestion and had changed my mind numerous times. I really did have some cracking stuff lined up! However events on January 10th stopped me in my tracks and left only one choice.

I woke up that day to find my dear old Dad John, who had been a big influence on my music tastes, had passed away. I also woke up to discover we had lost one of our most, if not the most influential artists of our time. Choosing 'Black Star' was easy for me. An emotive choice perhaps but a simple one.

Ok it's well known that Bowie had on occasion not produced work that was up to his very high standards. However with 'Black Star' it seems he may have left his best until last. Opening with the Scott Walkeresque 'Black Star' it's clear that this ain't going to be no crowd pleasing Rock/Pop record. I have been trying to pick out highlights, but have failed miserably. Personally I feel there is not one weak song on this album but if pushed I would say the last two 'Dollar Days' and 'I Can't Give Everything Away' are perhaps two of Bowie's most gorgeous songs ever put onto record.

Tony Visconti has said that this was Bowie's parting gift to us. It certainly feels like that to me.

It's a thing of beauty.

What do you think?

https://open.spotify.com/album/2w1YJXWMIco6EBf0CovvVN
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2016 at 21:52. Reason: Error in title

+ Reply to Thread