View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

1 8.33%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

2 16.67%
  • 6/10

2 16.67%
  • 7/10

3 25.00%
  • 8/10

1 8.33%
  • 9/10

1 8.33%
  • 10/10

2 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, May 2016: David Bowie - 'Black Star'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, May 2016: David Bowie - 'Black Star'

The Album Club choice for May come courtesy of Laurence (Hackney RF) with a timely and appropriate tribute to David Bowie and his final album - 'Black Star'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

David Bowie - Black Star

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blac...d_Bowie_album)

I had a very long time to think about my suggestion and had changed my mind numerous times. I really did have some cracking stuff lined up! However events on January 10th stopped me in my tracks and left only one choice.

I woke up that day to find my dear old Dad John, who had been a big influence on my music tastes, had passed away. I also woke up to discover we had lost one of our most, if not the most influential artists of our time. Choosing 'Black Star' was easy for me. An emotive choice perhaps but a simple one.

Ok it's well known that Bowie had on occasion not produced work that was up to his very high standards. However with 'Black Star' it seems he may have left his best until last. Opening with the Scott Walkeresque 'Black Star' it's clear that this ain't going to be no crowd pleasing Rock/Pop record. I have been trying to pick out highlights, but have failed miserably. Personally I feel there is not one weak song on this album but if pushed I would say the last two 'Dollar Days' and 'I Can't Give Everything Away' are perhaps two of Bowie's most gorgeous songs ever put onto record.

Tony Visconti has said that this was Bowie's parting gift to us. It certainly feels like that to me.

It's a thing of beauty.

What do you think?

https://open.spotify.com/album/2w1YJXWMIco6EBf0CovvVN
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2016 at 21:52. Reason: Error in title

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Album Club View Post
    The Album Club choice for May come courtesy of Laurence (Hackney RF) with a timely and appropriate tribute to David Bowie and his final album - 'Black Star'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

David Bowie - Black Star

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blac...d_Bowie_album)

I had a very long time to think about my suggestion and had changed my mind numerous times. I really did have some cracking stuff lined up! However events on January 10th stopped me in my tracks and left only one choice.

I woke up that day to find my dear old Dad John, who had been a big influence on my music tastes, had passed away. I also woke up to discover we had lost one of our most, if not the most influential artists of our time. Choosing 'Black Star' was easy for me. An emotive choice perhaps but a simple one.

Ok it's well known that Bowie had on occasion not produced work that was up to his very high standards. However with 'Black Star' it seems he may have left his best until last. Opening with the Scott Walkeresque 'Black Star' it's clear that this ain't going to be no crowd pleasing Rock/Pop record. I have been trying to pick out highlights, but have failed miserably. Personally I feel there is not one weak song on this album but if pushed I would say the last two 'Dollar Days' and 'I Can't Give Everything Away' are perhaps two of Bowie's most gorgeous songs ever put onto record.

Tony Visconti has said that this was Bowie's parting gift to us. It certainly feels like that to me.

It's a thing of beauty.

What do you think?

https://open.spotify.com/album/2w1YJXWMIco6EBf0CovvVN
    Blackstar is a stunning album (more later) - but Dark Star (see subject line) is also a great movie...can a moderator change the title line please?
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2016 at 21:56. Reason: Quoted error corrected
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    Blackstar is a stunning album (more later) - but Dark Star (see subject line) is also a great movie...can a moderator change the title line please?
    Done - perhaps, subconciously I had the film in mind when I posted Laurence's Album Choice! Mea culpa
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    Blackstar is a stunning album (more later)
    I agree, and especially stunning on vinyl... A much nicer overall product to own, too!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I don't need to listen to this before voting as I have played it dozens and dozens of times, superb from start to finish and for me unquestionably 10/10.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

Where the fuck did Monday go?

Can we vote more than 10/10 please?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Richard.

Looks like I'll be the first miserable git here. I bought this on vinyl a few weeks back and was listening to it yesterday afternoon, but at the moment I only like half of this album.

Some of it feels like a continuation of The Next Day - which is an album I played and played and played when it came out and I still really like. There's definitely a link between the first track on both albums and I really like the track Blackstar. I also agree that I can't give everything away is one of the best songs he wrote in at least the last 20 years and was the track that made me buy the album. The harmonica in that track is so haunting and seems to have some weird reflective power over his entire output. When I fidst heard it I thought it was an old song, it just felt so familiar. For that track alone it scores well. But I just can't (currently) get on with tracks 2, 4 or 5 which makes it a bit scrappy for me. Maybe in time it'll click, but this album as it stands scores a 6 whereas The Next Day was an easy 8.
    Rich

I'm Josie.

Black Star.

Bowie is gone but he keeps on giving...

Leave your copy of Black Star out in the sun and something beautiful happens...

Source: http://www.gigwise.com/news/106754/d...nfSSvc.twitter
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Grant.

Lol, don't try this in Scotland

Got it in my prime library to listen to later
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm paul.

Mm mm, didn't grab me, one or two tracks might grow on me should I persevere. But then there are only a handful of Bowie tracks I like tbh. He was a talent and a pioneer, I remember him saying years ago he would cut words from a newspaper and juggle them around to form lyrics for songs, an unlikely way to get results but it worked. Was probably his earlier work.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast