View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

1 8.33%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

2 16.67%
  • 6/10

2 16.67%
  • 7/10

3 25.00%
  • 8/10

1 8.33%
  • 9/10

1 8.33%
  • 10/10

2 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club, May 2016: David Bowie - 'Black Star'

I'm Mike.

I consider myself a Bowie fan, having most of his earlier work. But I'm afraid I don't like this, maybe a bit too jazzy for me. 6/10
    Mike

My kit

Garrard 401, 12 inch Jelco SA – 750L, Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver Litz tonearm cable, Graham Slee Reflex C with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Audio-Technica AT33EV, Audio Technica AT33 Mono, XTZ A100 D3, Azur 650C CDP with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Speakers - Kef LS S0, Graham Slee Novo headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

I'm Neil.

I have this, but have yet to listen to it. I will do so soon.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

I'm a big Bowie fan too.

Whilst this is a very good record and is the best of his recent Album output by a loooong way, IMO it still isn't up there with his best Albums, which for me are Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Ziggy.

I guess you can't keep on being the inventor / originator of a vibe and Black Star just doesn't hang as well together as some of his earlier stuff, almost as if he is trying a bit too hard to create something he hasn't done before, to try and force a final days / funereal type vibe and it doesn't quite work for me. A bit harsh but maybe just a bit too self indulgent perhaps.

Anyway, it's certainly his best work since Scary Monsters and ideally, I'd be giving it 7 1/2 but it's a solid 7 / 10 from me.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Martin.

I loved his early work but this is too dark for me. 5/10.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Grant.

Not the best Bowie album for me but not the worst either.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

I finally found myself in the right frame of mind for this one. It went past me when first released and following his death I revisited his more classic material. This however grew on me so a 7. R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Steve.

I simply don't like it. 3/10

I'm Andr'e.

I just cannot cope with anything after his 2nd eponymous LP [Space Oddity]

I'm Colin.

Only discovering Bowie through passing a few years ago (70s pop was/isn't my scene) I like his later stuff, black star is dark though, there's a very different voice in there from previous work, there's a fragility to his voice through the whole album, 7/10 for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12