+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rega RP1

I'm tony.

Default Rega RP1

Bought my self a Rega RP1 yesterday afternoon...and a couple of records to play on it because I dont own any.

Its Regas entry level record player fitted with a rega carbon cartridge. Its dead easy to set up-literally plug and play. Just a case of removing all the packaging and plugging it into the mains. Add the tonearm weight by screwing it fully on and connecting to the MM sockets on the amp.

To say Im surprised at what it sounds like is an understatement. Ive been all digital for 30 years and had often thought about getting some vinyl but always resisted.

Im glad I succumbed...having heard some really good vinyl set ups I knew it can be a fantastic medium but the cost was always a big factor I just couldnt justify.

At £230 the Rega is pretty reasonable.

I listened to it last night and this morning on both cans and speakers IMHO it gives genuine taste of what makes vinyl so attractive to music lovers. To my ears it sounds very organic with a very natural tone. Soundstage is spot on with lots of nice layering of instruments and voices. Sax rasp and piano tones are lovely.

Its just great sounding music-very unfatiguing and soothing.

Really glad I did it....anybody thinking about giving it a go-go on, treat yourself!!!

I'm Geoff.

I did the same. Went out and bought a decent turntable and was delighted with the results.............around 1970 .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Yep, and it's why I've got a TT and CD player in my set-up, for the best of both worlds. There are some records that are just special and no digital version can come close, yet some records can be worse than digital (for various reasons). I like having the option to buy either CD and/or Vinyl.

I'm Brian.

Nice one mate , glad you're liking it
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm tony.

Thanks Brian...it even in the same league as Garys or Grants that Ive heard but its more than adequate as a start point.

I blame Topsy....when we went down to collect the 57s he played some Tracy Chapman on his vinyl rig-best sounding system I have ever heard. Louise asked me to buy the album yesterday but it seems to be out of print.

The RP1 is true to Regas moto-"music first".

How you fixed next weekend?

I'm Brian.

Dunno mate could be a goer . Flying back home tomorrow. I'll give you a bell then .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Chris.

Hi,

I have had a number of reasonable to good decks over the years but have returned to an RP1 because IMHO it gives a big slice of what vinyl sound is about for a very small wedge of readies and with vinyl's imperfections I reckon it is a very good cost/performance solution.

It also has an excellent RB101 arm which can take much better cartridges than the stock Rega Carbon although I remain a massive fan of the Carbon for the price. I have just put a Denon DL-110 on mine and it works great providing a bigger deeper soundstage and much better resolution and HF detail.

Some people say the RP1 is not speed stable but the Paul Miller HiFi News test reports show it to be within 0.01% WRMS of the more expensive RP3 and I doubt anyone can hear that small a difference.

Anyway glad you are enjoying your RP1, I think they are a steal. Oh BTW save for the cartridge which can be improved upon I have tried a number of aftermarket tweaks and TBH I prefer the sound of the stock RP1 deck.

Chris

I'm Gary.

Nice one Tony, dead chuffed its doing the business for you.

Plug n play is a good way to describe the Rega decks, had a Planar 2 back in the day and you just plonked it down and it made music.
    Can be a lot of faffing about with vinyl, but not with the Regas and they sound great.

You know Discogs?
    https://www.discogs.com

Like Ebay but just for music.
    Bought most of my vinyl from here, great place to get the LPs you want.
    Tracey Chapman for example....
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?cu...b&format=Vinyl

I'm tony.

Thanks Gary...the Vinyl at HMV/Fopp is a bit salty price wise but I now have a perverted wish to just buy my favourite John Martyn albums and a few select others and just leave vinyl as a special immersive wee treat for myself on cans or the main rig.

All new...if they get worn/ scratched its by me-if that remotely makes sense!!

I'm Grant.

Think I played more when I had less, if that makes sense; and enjoyed it more
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast