+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Micromega Question

I'm Nobody.

Default Micromega Question

My Micromega CD Player does not have an on/off button & neither does it's remote, after 10 min idle time it falls into Stand by auto! Thing is i always switch the power off at the wall before i go to my pit at night or go out..The worrying thing is when i switch the power back on i don't like the inrush of current...Does anyone know if there is a circuit protection in the Stage 6 player, Relay! etc to avoid damage to the circuit on power up?

I have a simular problem with my amp thump on power up.

Was thinking maybe something like this for em

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SX2200-10A-Sof...item23020c5b08
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 12-11-2009 at 18:19.

I'm gordan.

i never switch any of my digital gear off except when i go to a holiday
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

To be honest, I doubt the inrush on a source component like yours is severe enough to worry about - Stage 6's have far more important things to bother them by now, like dry solder joints or failing mechs.

I do appreciate that as this machine IS so good, that you wish to preserve it, and what I'd recommend is something "like wot I use." I use a Farnell UK sourced Roxburgh 6A mains "cleaner/filter" on my CD player. It's high enough rated not to disturb current flow at all and it certainly makes my machine sound more musical, although the mains is so good here I could remove it.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Why don't you use the on off switch at the rear above the iec socket? also the player goes through a warm up mode preventing you from doing anything to it until it's ready
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm stu.

hi all,

i've had quite a few mm cd players over the years.
    i've never bothered to turn the cd off except when going away.
    maybe just leave it on.

i have a mm dac that is playing up at the moment.

i love the mm sound but they are tempremental gits.
    good luck with it.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Why don't you use the on off switch at the rear above the iec socket? also the player goes through a warm up mode preventing you from doing anything to it until it's ready
    I don't have a on/off button! You sure you have the same machine ?

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I have a stage 5 (when it works) and thought that they were all the same chassis, when you push a button on either the remote or the player they come back to life from idle mode, what about a anti spike socket bar to help smooth things along and keep your mind at rest, if this is how they are designed they must be ok
    Jon

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer

I'm Nobody.

I have a stage 5 (when it works)
    I hear this alot! With the Stage players the general problem was the Tray it's self wasnt properly lubricated & sticks & the belts usually stretched..The best thing to do with a stage player is buy a new Lazer mech which are cheap, a new Belt for the drawer motor & take the tray apart clean it & re lubricate, cost peanuts to do & will give you no problems at all there after.

Cost you about £25.00 to do this..

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I bought a new laser mech from Germany and fitted it, re lubed the tray with silicon grease but it didn't work, so i re soldered the old mech back in and it worked, that was about a year ago, the player was put into storage for this time as i have a MM Duo 3 transport, i thought i might sell the 5 so got it out to try but it won't read discs again just comes up with error, so when i have a few hours to spare it looks like a strip down again, the new mech is slightly different in that the ribbon cable is on the other side to the original making it harder to fit, did you find this the same? these players sound amazing when working and put some of the modern ones to shame.
    Where did you get your bits from Andre?
    Jon

Set up

I'm Nobody.

I bought a new laser mech from Germany and fitted it, re lubed the tray with silicon grease but it didn't work, so i re soldered the old mech back in and it worked, that was about a year ago, the player was put into storage for this time as i have a MM Duo 3 transport, i thought i might sell the 5 so got it out to try but it won't read discs again just comes up with error, so when i have a few hours to spare it looks like a strip down again, the new mech is slightly different in that the ribbon cable is on the other side to the original making it harder to fit, did you find this the same? these players sound amazing when working and put some of the modern ones to shame.
    Where did you get your bits from Andre?
    Thats correct the Connection is slightly different (should have mentioned)

i'll PM you the part supplier.

+ Reply to Thread