+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toobs

I'm James.

Default Toobs

I've just bought a yaquin cd3 6N8P tube buffer, now it's early days and my first bit of tube gear,if at some point I need remove the valves,is it tubes or valves? Do they screw out or push n twist,I guess I'm thinking light bulbs cheers jim
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 30-04-2016 at 15:48.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

They pull out. I personally try to avoid handling valves directly and wear disposable gloves. It is suggested that skin oils create flaws and weak areas in the glass. Dunno how true that is though. Make sure you don't put a valve back in the wrong position. They tend to be marked on Chinese gear. Too much handling is definitely not good anyway, weaknesses can occur around the pins causing air to leak in and burn the valve out.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Cheers Geoff, I know you weren't keen on the yaqin stuff,But initial impressions are positive,its definitely made some harsh recordings much nicer to listen to,time will tell though
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

It's too early to start 'rolling' but I may want to at some point,so ,do all valves fit all valve gear? Are the best expensive? Are the improvements like interconnects, ie subtle but useful ,jim
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 04-05-2016 at 13:36.

I'm James.

Recommendations on where to purchase valves in the UK p!ease? Thanks jim

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    It's too early to start 'rolling' but I may want to at some point,so ,do all valves fit all valve gear? Are the best expensive? Are the improvements like interconnects, ie subtle but useful ,jim
    Now you are opening a can of worms.
    The difference in valve characteristics is huge, as is the choice.

There are many different types/ manufacturers / pin outs /valve bases to name a few. They have been used and developed for many decades with 'improvements' in myriad characteristics through out the time scale.

There will be a limited number of the right type and pin out to try in your buffer.

Cheers,
    Alan

I'm James.

Alan,after a bit of Internet browsing I know you are right, this is interconnect territory never the less I've just ordered some tung Sol 6sn7gtb valves from Watford Valves, cheapos compared to some NOS ones I've seen, jim

I'm James.

Using some un branded Russian valves at mo. Sweeeeeeeet

+ Reply to Thread