+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of....

I'm keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    There's nothing complicated about Squeezebox either.
    Would have to agree. Ive had a Squeezebox classic running into external dac for a few years now and its never once given me issues. The only time it did was down to my NAS freezing up but the squeezebox has worked flawlessly from day one.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
    Would have to agree. Ive had a Squeezebox classic running into external dac for a few years now and its never once given me issues. The only time it did was down to my NAS freezing up but the squeezebox has worked flawlessly from day one.
    I never had a problem with the Classic either.

Cannot say the same for the Touch.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Martin.

No idea whether it's the sort of thing you have in mind, but I've got a Cambridge NP30 for sale in the classifieds. Just saying .

I'm Lucky.

Bloody horrible thing the Squeeze box touch. Bought one for my system at work awful, dated interface and crap software. Nowadays a Chromecast Audio does the same job but better using a great app on my phone or from my work laptop, or desktop pc. A minute or two to set up and utterly stable since. Toslink out into my dac/pre amp. I spend more on fuel in a week.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Bloody horrible thing the Squeeze box touch. Bought one for my system at work awful, dated interface and crap software. Nowadays a Chromecast Audio does the same job but better using a great app on my phone or from my work laptop, or desktop pc. A minute or two to set up and utterly stable since. Toslink out into my dac/pre amp. I spend more on fuel in a week.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
    Hooray, I'm not alone or mental in thinking this too!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Mike.

It all depends on your demands and preferred way of control.
    To me, its all down to the UX, which leaves most UPnP items in the wake, as well as Airplay/ChromeCast. Not that AirPlay or ChromeCast works badly, but i want ONE control app to rule them all!
    The Marantz is fine soundwise, but not great to handle IMX. (Have had NA-7004, NA-8005) Prefer the Pioneers i have had, the N-50 and the N-70A for control. Still need a stable UPnP server somewhere unless you are about use em as a DAC for a locally attached computer.
    Have also had Sonos up till about 2 years ago, have Bluesound Node today, 2pcs. Vastly improved SQ with either of my Nodes!
    RPi is fine, but no revelation, to my ears but UX is shite and the management sux.
    RPi when used as a Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) is however a completely different matter. Needs a server though, and a Control UI preferably on a smart phone or tablet. A little expensive though, the software that is.
    Headless MacMini is also used on a daily basis, also super stable and very well sounding. If you like JRMC/Jremote works very well, and also as both a Roon Server and Bridge (playback unit)
    If you want streaming services Roon demands Tidal subscr.

I just realized that these scribblings doesnt make much sense, other than the fact that there are many ways to skin a cat...

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    The Marantz is fine soundwise, but not great to handle IMX. (Have had NA-7004, NA-8005) Prefer the Pioneers i have had, the N-50 and the N-70A for control. Still need a stable UPnP server somewhere unless you are about use em as a DAC for a locally attached computer...
    When I heard the Marantz NA-7004 I thought the sound was excellent! The plain and obvious fact in my system was the 7004's strength as a transport only streamer - superb and the best transport I have ever heard (this was the tipping point where I realised that transports "do" make a difference so there's more to it than bits are just bits).

However I chose not not to invest in the 7004 because the control software was poor! I still always consider buying one second hand just to experience one again however - hopefully the 6005 is as good or the 7004 was just a fluke in engineering excellence.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123