+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two new turntables

I'm Phil.

Default two new turntables

An updated planar 2 from Rega...

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl...ntable-update/

and a rather fine looking offering from Pro-Ject...

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...fDkPpkQHj2.97w

I'm Timothy.

I like the looks of the Pro-Ject deck, but haven't really cared much for their arms, don't know why exactly. The main part of the deck does have an LP12/old school resemblance.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Alex.

Hello,

the Project one sounds yummy ! I have the 2.9 pear wooden with a Grado MM wood Platinum and I would say it works well, with nice general music scenario.

Price for it I would say not that cheap, but not so high either.

I agree with Timothy : for me too it resambles lot of the Linn Sondek LP12. However, the Project is more practical as you would not have to get mad to set up springs..etc..each time you move it and/or disassemble it. Great advantage this.

I'm Peter.

I think Project were paying some sort of homage to the old school designs such as Linn, Thorens (which apparently is what they copied, minus suspension) and Ariston. I should imagine its retro features will be a welcome addition to any one's living room. As for the new Rega Planar 2 and 3, I just cannot see what difference there is between the older RP3 and the new Planar 3 other than a bit a marketing strategy.

I still have my original 80's model Rega Planar 3/RB300 arm. All I have done to it in nearly 40 years is to re mount the motor on to sticky foam pads, fit an ally pulley, change the oil, and fit a 'little green belter' drive belt and a new cartridge, it still plays records!
    I would think that Rega have almost exhausted the Planar design and its many incarnations, and I suspect there is not a lot of mileage left, as brilliant as it is. A completely new design from Rega is long over due as there can only be so much tinkering and tweaking you can do with that design, I'm sure Roy Gandy is not standing idle on this.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by homespun View Post
    I think Project were paying some sort of homage to the old school designs such as Linn, Thorens (which apparently is what they copied, minus suspension) and Ariston. I should imagine its retro features will be a welcome addition to any one's living room. As for the new Rega Planar 2 and 3, I just cannot see what difference there is between the older RP3 and the new Planar 3 other than a bit a marketing strategy.

I still have my original 80's model Rega Planar 3/RB300 arm. All I have done to it in nearly 40 years is to re mount the motor on to sticky foam pads, fit an ally pulley, change the oil, and fit a 'little green belter' drive belt and a new cartridge, it still plays records!
    I would think that Rega have almost exhausted the Planar design and its many incarnations, and I suspect there is not a lot of mileage left, as brilliant as it is. A completely new design from Rega is long over due as there can only be so much tinkering and tweaking you can do with that design, I'm sure Roy Gandy is not standing idle on this.
    The new Planar-3 is completely different to the RP3. If you take a look at my Radlett Audio post, you can see pics and for full information, go to www.rega.co.uk

Differences are a new, lighter plinth in gloss black or white. New RB330 arm with uprated cabling. New lid, platter, main bearing, hub and platter and finally, new packaging.
    It does sound noticeably better than the RP3.

So, not just "marketing strategy".

I'm Peter.

thanks Dave, appreciate your post, I still think its time Rega started looking at new designs rather than continually tweaking old ones, by the way, I bought my Planar 3 many years ago when your shop was in Radlett and my Creek 40-40 Mk 2, still going strong

I'm Dave.

Hi Peter. Those were the good ol' days. Good to know your Creek and Planar-3 are still going strong. A testament to good engineering but does little to support sales..

Rega's philosophy has always been to make turntables light and rigid. They don't like the heavy approach as this, in their opinion, stores unwanted energy to be released later and thereby smearing and colouring the sound. As the years have gone by, with new materials and more sophisticated manufacturing approaches possible, Rega have been developing and honing their turntables down the light and rigid route, ultimately ending with the Naiad. If you investigate the RP8 and RP10, you will find that (without platter) they weigh barely more than the packaging but are very rigid.

The RP8, RP10 and Naiad are radical designs using very sophisticated materials and expensive manufacturing to produce beautiful turntables which are unlike anything else. Not only are they new designs but look different to the norm but still comply with the light and rigid approach.

Now, the new Planar 3 might look superficially like the outgoing RP3 but it is entirely different in every respect, as I listed above. Actually, I left out the isolation feet, which are also new. So it's still a sleek, smart turntable but using different materials and components to anything which went before and in my opinion, not just a "tweak".

I'm Peter.

Hi Dave, I remember being in the Radlett shop decades ago and you demonstrating a pair of Celef Book shelf speakers from a planar 2 through a Creek 40-40 to a customer, and I remember the vinyl track being played, Pink Floyd's the Wall. Brings tears to your eyes thinking about it. Sounded good too.

I know the high end Regas are superb (out of my reach) and have some interesting technology applied. Have you looked at Edwards Turn tables from TALK Electronics they seem to have a different approach than Rega with their clones of Rega decks. They must be in the same ball park as when I spoke to them, as they also mentioned energy absorbing plinths, they basically make their own plinths and use an acrylic platter, the only thing Rega seems to be the arm and interestingly they prefered the RB250 arm to the later RB300 + arm, I know they are highly regarded.

Are you still on that awful hill in St Albans or have you moved.
    Good to talk mate about those days
    Best regards
    Peter

I'm Dave.

I'm always trying new products but not much takes my fancy. Rega turntables are tried and tested designs with fantastic backup, good resale prices, reliability, value for money and above all, superb sound. So, they are always popular with my customers. There are many Rega 'clones' but none have the wherewithal to match the originals.

Amazing you remember that demo after all these years - must have sounded good. Probably would have been the Domestic-1, a good fun speaker which made a lovely system with the Creek 4040 and Rega Planar-3. For some years, we had a waiting list of 9 months for a Rega as part of a system. Those were the days.

I am now located in Saffron Walden, where the air is clean and parking is right outside. Just had to get away from the bustle and congestion of St.Albans and Watford area.

I'm Peter.

Thank's Dave,

You lucky person, super town to be in and great county, I will give you a look some time i'm in the area, OK, big question, what's the next jump up from my Old Planar 3, some one said don't unless you spend over a grand as the return for the money won't be dramatic.
    Cheers
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast