+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Sussex

I'm Max.

Default Hi from Sussex

Hi all. Lurked for sometime but now in!

Been getting back into Hi-Fi over the last five years and thank goodness I never threw away all my vinyl (and cassettes) bought in the 80's. Steadily getting more into it and seemingly buying back all the prog rock and other 70's stuff my brother brainwashed me with back in the day. Slightly retro set up with a 3020, Rega Planar, Castle Trents' and a Cyrus 6SE2. Somehow trying to work a classic British valve amp (Leak S20 or perhaps Rogers Cadet) into the equation if I can find one.
    Last edited by Max-Felix; 28-04-2016 at 23:05.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Max. Welcome to AOS.

You've come to the right place if you want opinions and advice on vintage British Hi-Fi.

If you want to ask anything have a look at the Past Masters section, it covers this. You can just join in the chat if you like.

Just my opinion having owned a few of each, the Leak Stereo 20 is very nice, but the various Rogers Cadet variants are not in the same league and now overpriced.

The Leak also works very well with a passive pre-amp, which can help in keeping costs sensible.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Hi Max and welcome to the forum.

Castle did some good speakers but I don't rate the Trent at all. You might want to consider changing them before the amp - or you might think I'm talking rubbish

Anyways, enjoy
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Max.

Thanks chaps - yes, the Trent (its the Trent II) are a bit limited, looking for some Castle floor standers locally too. Plan is to keep the 3020 (I have a nostalgic attachment to it) as the pre.

I'm Gary.

Hi Matt

Welcome. Whereabouts in Sussex are you based? I'm on the Hampshire / West Sussex border.

Cheers, Gary

I'm Max.

Hi Gary, other side - far East.

I'm Rob.

I was in Eastbourne in February, were you down the precinct swigging White Lightning?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Felix View Post
    Hi Gary, other side - far East.
    I've family in Bexhill-on-Sea, so I'm reasonably familiar with your end of the county . When I'm that way I try and take in a visit to the 'record shop' hidden in the backyard in Old Hastings

I'm Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I was in Eastbourne in February, were you down the precinct swigging White Lightning?
    Blimey, bit old for that sort of thing!

Quite a few record shops down here. Was in Hastings Old Town yesterday and spent an hour browsing in the main 'shed', all a bit damp and chaotic but some collection there with multiple copies of various big name 70s/80s stuff. The other main shop downstairs in the big antique shop had loads on offer too.

In Bexhill there is Second Spin of course + the newer shop opposite, for once I managed to call on the day after some guy dumped his entire 70s collection. Best though is the book/vinyl shop in the covered market. All records regardless £1 now, most good stuff long gone but every month she pulls out another lot from the old mans house.

I'm Steve.

Welcome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast