Insulator
    Technics Definitive Design
    Inherited design from the SL-1200 series
    Heavy Aluminum Top Plate

Turntable Section

Type: Direct Drive Manual Turntable
    Turntable Speeds: 33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, 78 rpm
    Variable Range Pitch: ±8%, ±16%
    Wow and Flutter: 0.025% W.R.M.S. (JIS C5521)
    Rumble: 78dB (IEC 98A Weighted)
    Turntable Platter : Weight: Approx. 3.6kg (Including rubber sheet)

Tonearm Section

Type: Universal, Static Balance
    Overhang: 15mm
    Arm Height Adjustment Range: 0-6mm
    Applicable Cartridge Weight Range:
    Without auxiliary weight 5.6 – 12.0g
    14.3 – 20.7g (including headshell)
    With small auxiliary weight
    10.0 – 16.4g
    18.7 – 25.1g (including headshell)
    With large auxiliary weight
    14.3 – 19.8g
    23.0 – 28.5g (including headshell)

General

Terminal: Phono Output x 1 / SIGNAL GND x 1
    Power Supply: AC110-240 V, 50 Hz / 60 Hz
    Power Consumption: 14 W / Approx. 0.2W (Standby)
    Dimensions: W: 453 mm H: 173 mm D: 372 mm (Height including dust cover)
    Weight: Approx. 18kg

I'm Hugo.

There's a review of the SL-1200GAE in the latest HiFi News. Deeply impressive technical performance but the reviewer makes guarded comments about such things as 'vocal timbre' being not quite up with the best. That's most likely down to the tonearm which, according to an associate who has evaluated the new SL-1200GAE, is not the best and certainly not up to the very accomplished standard of the motor unit. I think that this thing deserves to do well in the marketplace.

I'm Chris.

Same exact specs as the M5G - am I missing something? Great specs for sure though!

Technics SL-1210M5G Features & Specifications:
    Wow and Flutter 0.01% WRMS, 0.025% WRMS (JIS C5521), ±0.035% peak (IEC 98A Weighted)
    Rumble -56dB (IEC 98A Unweighted), -78dB (IEC Weighted)

I'm Hugo.

The HiFi News test measurements indicate absolute speed stability at +0.006% with low rate wow of just 0.01% and rumble figures that only the costliest SME and TechDas turntables can match. Those measurements on their own don't tell everything about how a turntable will portray real music, but it does look like Technics have produced something of a technical marvel here, albeit not exactly a budget one. In their quest to eliminate 'motor cogging' effects, which were clearly highlighted in the PFM rotational speed stability tests, Technics have adopted flat-wound motor coils which are what Kenwood have used for decades, to good effect. I'm not about to rush out to hear the new SL-1200, but I'd be very surprised if it was not intrinsically more musically articulate than the old version. It will be interesting to see what options emerge for fitting alternative tonearms to it, since that appears to be its only weak spot.

I'm Guy.

The motor re-design certainly appears to constitute much more than just improving psu regulation. Significantly increased torque and a more substantial platter too. It also appears that the arm is a good deal more sophisticated. Sounds like a lot of good engineering for the price.

There is mention of a possible stand alone motor unit at some point too.

I'm Hugo.

May I say that, much as I admire the engineering behind the new Technics, I'd have one of your Motus 'tables over one of these any day? Exceptional motor unit in the Technics aside, there is much more intuitive and clever thinking behind the STST designs.

I'm Julian.

Like I've said before (and I have only heard the new Technics dulledly chiming through Krall via an Ortofon Black PMP in Bristol) but they haven't addressed the right areas vs what the mk2 etc had to offer.
    Apparently there has been a review in Hifi News - has anyone seen this, can they post a pdf scan of it? Apparently some of the new Technics' music making skills were criticised, which may have been attributable to the arm.
    My instinct is that they should have sold the new one armless, offered a variety of armboards and focused on the important stuff like external psu, new matt, bearing etc.
    They seem to have got it so wrong. Inc that ridiculous price.

I'm Guy.

The rest of the system used at Bristol was pretty dreadful tbh.

The new model was reviewed very well by HiFi News who rated its technical performance alongside the best decks they've ever measured.
    They also felt that the arm was significantly improved over the old one. Perhaps they felt it fell short in terms of the width of presentation compared with some belt driven decks. Overall though they seemed impressed by the sound from it despite the price being more than 4x what it was.

It appears to me that Technics have addressed weaknesses in the platter's construction and in the drive system's smoothness.

They did also hint that a stand alone motor unit might also be forthcoming at some point. A new SP10?

Personally I'd be inclined to reserve judgement on it until I'd heard it in a system I was familiar with & with a better cartridge.

Regarding the price, I think they've got that part about right.

I'm Alan.

After reading the review in the HIFI mag I don’t see the justification in the price hike
    Ok they re-designed the motor, so what and its not exactly new technology used ?, kenwood and Pioneer already done that
    They say they have had to spend money n new tooling as the old dies are worn or damaged, again so what are they telling us they have been using the same dies for the last 30 years, no they make new ones every time to old ones wear.
    Every time Technichs /Panasonic develop a new product they have to completely design the product from scratch and produce all new tooling for it but do they sell every product for 3.5 grand ?, no because no one will buy them
    This stinks of Technics cashing in on the AudioFOOOOOOOOL market probably advised on pricing by the audiofool dealers
    They say the the new turntable is directed at audiophile market but look at it is the same DJ turntable, what do we need a speed slider and DJ queuing light for, every one wires these out as unnecessary circuitry.
    The platter is still the same the arm is said to be reworked but looks the same, the same cheap platter mat and head shell
    Have they done anything with the platter bearing ??????????????

This is a joke and a massive sales blag IMO, WTF are you actually getting for the asking price ?
    I love the original 1200 and still own one and it can be improved to some sensible modifications and Panasonic had the opportunity to address all of the original shortcomings and could have justifiably produced a true audio version of this Iconic turntable, but instead they have just reproduced the same old £500 turntable and are asking silly money

Just my 2p
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    The platter is still the same the arm is said to be reworked but looks the same, the same cheap platter mat and head shell
    Have they done anything with the platter bearing ??????????????
    The platter definitely is different (3.3kg vs 2kg or so) and likewise is the platter bearing I think. The arm also is completely different to my understanding, despite having a similar appearance to the original. Actually I don't think there's anything reused from the original design.

Doesn't seem to me it's sensibly positioned in the market though and for that kind of dough I think they'd been better off ditching the SL-1200 look and going for something more like the SP-series. Then again I wonder what their biggest market is in their plans, perhaps in Japan it's a different ball game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast