+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cartridge storage - without headshells

I'm Kevin.

Default Cartridge storage - without headshells

I am slowly building up a small collection of cartridges - most are bought second hand and I want some way of storing them. I was thinking about buying a wooden box, gluing in some foam and cutting circles out of the foam so that the cartridges are held securely.

Has anybody already done this, if so would you care to share your experience?
    Does anybody have a better idea for storing the cartridges?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I am slowly building up a small collection of cartridges - most are bought second hand and I want some way of storing them. I was thinking about buying a wooden box, gluing in some foam and cutting circles out of the foam so that the cartridges are held securely.

Has anybody already done this, if so would you care to share your experience?
    Does anybody have a better idea for storing the cartridges?
    Building a foam storage unit would be a good bet. I work in an industry where I receive lots of samples every day in all size of boxes, many of which use foam to protect the products. These are ideal for cartridge storage . Simple find a suitably sized box and cut 2 pieces of foam to fit. In the bottom one cut pockets for your cartridges and then simply place a foam sheet on top.

Most of my cartridges are in their original packaging screwed to a fixed post in many cases. Obviously this is the ultimate storage.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

The problem is that the "bargain" 2nd hand cartridges I have bought often don't have a case, let alone the original.
    My logistics colleagues get quite a bit of foam with the equipment that arrives here, so I will be using some of this. The biggest problem is finding a suitable box that does not cost a fortune, but is robust and of a suitable size.
    Kevin

I'm brian.

Buy some tupperware boxes with well fitting lids ( normally used in the kitchen etc ).

Punch a couple of holes in the lid suitable to take cartridge bolts.

Fix cartridge on inside of box with cartridge bolts/nuts sticking out the top.

multiple cartridges per box, or one per box. Whatever suits.

Tape down lid if worried at all about lid popping off.

good luck.

I'm Kevin.

That is not a bad idea. I shall have a look at it and getting hold of a load of fasteners - should be quite cheap.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Kevin

I'm Adam.

Cufflink storage box?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

I have a bag of plastic 35mm film cans in my garage. When I get a cartridge with no box, I pop it in one of these nose first, followed by a small cube of foam to stop movement. Just position the cartridge so that the stylus is away from the opposites side of the film can and all will be well. I have about half a dozen stored this way at the moment. Been doing this for best part of forty years. Works for me. You can get old film cans on eBay.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Business card boxes - the packaging they come in from the supplier - are another reasonable option

I'm Kevin.

Here is the first attempt.

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread