+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockwoods in da house! - advice please

I'm Ken.

Just come across this thread, nice find and nice to see them returning to their former glory.
    Wish I'd spotted it from the start, could have offered some suggestions on removing the Black paint and saved you some effort, still you got there in the end.
    Looking forward to seeing them fully sorted.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Just come across this thread, nice find and nice to see them returning to their former glory.
    Wish I'd spotted it from the start, could have offered some suggestions on removing the Black paint and saved you some effort, still you got there in the end.
    Looking forward to seeing them fully sorted.
    They are great but, as has been said, a pain but worth the effort.

Otis Rush blasting out of them now, awesome

Took about 300 hrs + to run in the reconed drivers.

Trying to get the system synergy sorted then I'll get on the stands next I think.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    They are great but, as has been said, a pain but worth the effort.

Otis Rush blasting out of them now, awesome

Took about 300 hrs + to run in the reconed drivers.

Trying to get the system synergy sorted then I'll get on the stands next I think.
    Well now that hoildays are over and my work load has eased a little I am turning my attentions back to getting the Lockwoods closer to finished.

I have invited my unsuspecting woodworking brother in law over for dinner this Friday and after his belly has been filled with our finest fayre and I've plied him with the couple of bottles of wine I brought him from France I will explain my speaker stand needs! No such thing as a free dinner chez moi

I think I'll run with 4" x 4" oak, just a post in each corner and a couple of braces, side to side and front to back to hold them square.

I'm John.

Well the stands arrived yesterday and I'm well pleased.

They are very heavy and solid courtesy of nice tight mortice and tennon joints.

Sound has both cleaned up and tightened up and with the drivers now at the right height the soundstage has opened up further.

The tightening of the bottom end has emphasised the mid-focused studio monitor nature of the Academy's though and ideally I'd like the presentation a little fuller at the bottom end, they are very dry and tight. This is probably due to them being a sealed enclosure and not ported. I'm wondering if it would be worth getting modelling done for fitting a port or maybe a tweak of the crossover would be the answer.

There's very little on the net about this model of Lockwood but they seem to be almost identical to Tannoy Mansfield.

I'm Deano.

Wow! What a beautiful synergy they look great

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Very nice. Looking good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Look stunning.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Thanks guys, they are a super job, chuffed.

They have cleaned the sound up considerably over the pile they were sitting on previously but now too clean!

Strangely at low volumes the tonal balance is fuller but as you turn the wick up the mids really project out and the bass doesn't seem to quite stay in proportion giving a very "detailed " sound which becomes fatiguing.

Any ideas?

I think part of the problem is I prefer a bass heavy presentation.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The whole ensemble looks great John.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Thanks guys, they are a super job, chuffed.

They have cleaned the sound up considerably over the pile they were sitting on previously but now too clean!

Strangely at low volumes the tonal balance is fuller but as you turn the wick up the mids really project out and the bass doesn't seem to quite stay in proportion giving a very "detailed " sound which becomes fatiguing.

Any ideas?

I think part of the problem is I prefer a bass heavy presentation.
    Sort of the problem I have at the moment. Have you played anything with some serious deep Bass? I mean synth bass that goes really low. I find my current set up does that really well but anything without that deliberate bass emphasis is just a little to the toppy side. Not enough to ruin it but enough that you notice,
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast