Hello all,

promised myself I wouldn't look at old hifi again (because I end up spending ages messing with it), but saw these old gals for sale and curiosity got the better of me

IMG_1600.jpgIMG_1602.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1618.jpg

Was chuffed when I saw the drivers! Spotless with sequential serial numbers.

Cabs are rough, walnut (I think, maybe teak) formica veneer painted black with a floor brush and in a bad state externally but really clean inside and working a treat.

They are a sealed enclosure and work surprisingly well in my small room, look huge though! Makes you look like you're really serious about your hifi though

I have never owned or even heard big Tannoys and know nothing about them except what I've read on the net over the past few days but I can see why people say there's no going back, they are effortless, realistic and very revealing (in a nice way).

Problem is the dreaded system synergy is now a bit askew and these are crying out for a nice valve amp! D'oh It's a slippery slope!

Could I ask your advice on what to do to ensure these go on for many a year to come?

The foams have almost what look like straight cuts running from the cone straight to the frame, is this normal? Any I've seen pictures of are either completely wrecked or re-foamed. Do these look like the original foams or a dodgy re-foam at some stage? Do I need to re-foam or even re-cone? Crossovers?

As far as the cabinets go, I think I'll strip the formica off, re-veneer in real oak or something fancier (there's a lot to cover mind, won't be cheap), replace the input connector with some 4mm terminals, replace the grill cloth and get some open stands made. Nice project for this year.

Here's a link to the sales brochure, although it quotes DC386 drivers. Had to laugh, they call these their SMALLER monitors, serious company.

http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/images/lockwood2_lrg.jpg

I know there's a lot of people very experienced with this stuff on here, would appreciate your advice, thanks, John.

P.S. What are these worth roughly?