+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditton 44 cabinet rebuild ideas (plus....?)

I'm Pim.

Default Ditton 44 cabinet rebuild ideas (plus....?)

Hi folks

Unsure which section this should go in since it may cover more than one area.

Haven't been on for a while due to other obsessions (bicycles n guitars ) taking over from the hifi for a bit. However, I have been thinking about upgrading my Ditton 44s and because I am about to start an evening class in woodwork (always been handy but self-taught), I am thinking of rebuilding my cabinets as my project there a) for the fun of it, and b) to improve the sound.

As I mentioned in my first comments when I joined, my 44s were in a bit of a state - the usual mangled corners and edges and damaged veneer. I sorted them out with 2-part filler and some rosewood varnish and they look so much better, but now I want to take it up a notch. I'm looking at using birch ply and copying the original design - or do you have other suggestions? I have searched around the web but haven't yet found too much on rebuilding cabinets in this way. Perhaps someone can point me somewhere? If nothing else my new cabs would be stronger and more attractive to look at - I may varnish or veneer them.

I would also want to improve anything else - bracing/baffle/front edge/deadening, etc.

I would also consider upgrading some of the electronic components but tbh, although I can handle a soldering iron OK, I glaze over instantly when you experts start talking technically. I'm lost. I'm not that enthusiastic about learning electronics but if there were some basic replacements possible (I have read about the Ansar polyprop capacitors and Alcap electrolytics but I don't really know what is going on!), I would undertake them, I hope with advice from you kind people

I am hoping all this would be worthwhile - I'd certainly enjoy the process! Whaddayareckin?

I'm Geoff.

I'd suggest looking through the construction projects Paul (RFC) has done (see trade section).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Darren.

I plan on building new cabinets for mine and will use BB Ply, I don't know whether there would be any acoustic benefit over MDF but I hate working with MDF so will gladly pay the premium for BB Ply. I have replaced the 44 mid range driver with Ditton 66 driver, not only this is a massive improvement over the stock 44 mid range but will also make building new cabinets easier as they are sealed units and will not require the internal cylindrical enclosure that the 44 does, this would have to be compensated for with bracing but this would be far easier to execute. Although I would say that as I have a pair of MF500's for sale .

Recapping and rewiring will be recommended by everyone on here who's recapped their 44's and Ken's approach is pretty much universally accepted as the way to go http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ghlight=ditton.
    Last edited by DarrenHW; 25-04-2016 at 18:46.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Geoff.

If you now have the 66 mid fitted, you may want to compare the components on the 66 crossover with the 44. If there are differences, I reckon the best move would be to go to 66 spec.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Pim.

Cheers Geoff. I just had a look and there seem to be 88 pages! Any idea which pages I could look at?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by zingyzangyzongy View Post
    Cheers Geoff. I just had a look and there seem to be 88 pages! Any idea which pages I could look at?
    Not offhand matey! Have a browse, you'll find some good stuff there.

I'm Pim.

Hi Darren
    Thanks for your help. What thicknesses would you use for that, and are you doing a straight copy of the 44s? I think ply is way more attractive than mdf anyway - I want to see the wood grain and ply layers.
    Tempting though your 66 mids sound, I think I will stick with the stock drivers for now while I read that thread... again ;-)

I'm Pim.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not offhand matey! Have a browse, you'll find some good stuff there.
    OK (rolls up sleeves) Cheers!

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you now have the 66 mid fitted, you may want to compare the components on the 66 crossover with the 44. If there are differences, I reckon the best move would be to go to 66 spec.
    Your right, the inductors need to be changed to 0.35mH and 2.2mH, I used these http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/Product...roduct_ID=9402, http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/Product...roduct_ID=9481 as the closest match to original DCR. I've also replaced the HF2000 with the SEAS 19TFF which requires an alternative inductor, optimised the placement of the inductors and mounted the crossover externally, I started a thread to document this but work has got the better of me over the last 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by zingyzangyzongy View Post
    Hi Darren
    Thanks for your help. What thicknesses would you use for that, and are you doing a straight copy of the 44s? I think ply is way more attractive than mdf anyway - I want to see the wood grain and ply layers.
    Tempting though your 66 mids sound, I think I will stick with the stock drivers for now while I read that thread... again ;-)
    I'd stick with the original thickness 3/4 / 19mm, I've spoken to Ken about this and the only modification he'd make to the original 66 cabs would be to double up for the top and bottom panels i.e. 1.5" / 38mm. I'd also flush mount the baffle as it is with the 66's
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Geoff.

The Ditton 66/25 ABRs come up for sale on eBay periodically. There's no reason why employing these in a 66 dimensioned cabinet with 44 drivers shouldn't work. You'd then have tall floorstanders with deeper bass and just need small plinths rather than the stands that the 44s require to get them to listening height.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast