+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Nope.

I bought one, but it got a bit damaged in the post -- had a good listen to it, though, it was just a bit bent and needed a paint refresh. Hugely impressive (as in the best I had heard) on some music like the aforementioned rock and electronica, but a bit feisty at the top end for my classicals. I returned it and it was fixed up and resold to someone else.
    I was definitely a bit gutted and pined for a couple of months! I really missed what it did well - but the original owner agreed with me that it wasn't the best choice for most of my type of music.
    I wonder if that's the one I have as it has a slight dent on the right edge of the front fascia.

Superb amp, and I now realise that selling mine would be folly

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I wonder if that's the one I have as it has a slight dent on the right edge of the front fascia.

Superb amp, and I now realise that selling mine would be folly
    Could be!

Yup, if you don't have to worry about an orchestral violin section getting a bit uppity, it is a superb amp!

I'm Gary.

Nice one Tony, look forward to hearing it.
    Double whammy actually, never heard a set of 57's either.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I scan the the private exhibitions the same as most of the troops with a psychological wish list of kit that you would love to own but could never do when it was new.
    Well Ive been lucky on a few occasions getting myself some great sounding kit within my budget.

Saw Colin Wonfor was selling a Claymore (his Claymore!!!) and jumped out my seat. Colin has done the business for as long as I have been into it and strikes me as one of those guys that just loves music and letting people enjoy it through his creations.

Well I pulled the trigger and the deal was done...amp duly arrived as promised.

I like my cans-currently running senn 700s, plumbed the Claymore in and fired it up utilising the on board USB DAC and inbuilt headphone amp-mutch scratching of head ensued.

I had been using a battery powered HPA/DAC that in my humble opinion was outstanding(albeit at a tenth of the retail price of the Claymore). As a USB headphone rig its outstanding-really letting the 700s do they're stuff-no high end nastiness that can some times be levelled at them.

I will endeavour to try my 650 s with it and report back.

Ok...down to brass tacks...In the main rig.

I principally run 57s as my main speakers...purchased off one of the troops on here-they can be a bit funny amp wise as they present a difficult load impedance wise-the Claymore flung them around like an empty tracksuit (rag dolled them). 57s are an acquired taste-I love them for they're speed,accuracy and naturalness.

Well...the Claymore does the business and then some!!! I wanted a top notch SS amp that would tick the boxes of valve/d class but with more grunt without losing the finesse.

It does it!!!

I was front end guy first...this amp has made me rethink

Sat listening to music all afternoon yesterday into the small hours of this morning.

Chopped and changed speakers from 57s-/electric beach frugels/spendor sp1s....all different flavours-the frugels with rock really took me aback.

It has a rightness-loads of grunt and a listenability thats made me run through my record colection (spotify is earning its money!).

A special amp!!!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    never heard a set of 57's either.
    You should. One could say they are spectacular. Certainly in their difference to other speakers and the sense that 'everything' is being revealed. I don't regard them as totally neutral though, there is a slight touch of a twang to them. Think of snapping a taut drumskin with a finger and you'll get an idea.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

That's fantastic Tony, I love it when you read a review when the the person is truly over the moon with the product. A while ago I bought the TQ Iridium power amp and knew I had something incredible. I had owned some pretty top flight solid state amps and valve amps in my time but I couldn't believe it when I heard Colins Iridium. After a year or so I was given the opportunity to buy another of Colins designs so I had to sell the Iridium as I couldn't afford both. I ended up selling it to a guy who was a real amplifier nut, I have never seen so many high end amps and he had huge class A amps from all over the world, he wanted to hear the Iridium before he bought it, so I was a wee bit anxious to be honest. After about maybe 60seconds of hearing the Iridium he started counting out the cash.
    The chap started texting me the following week saying how delighted he was. He ended up buying some TQ speaker cables from me, he went on to buy matching power chord and interconnects, but he was a bit unsure about the interconnects.

Colins amps are rare, when you find one you know you have struck it lucky.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Mike.

Try it with some Berlin School electronic and you'll hear it really perform

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    That's fantastic Tony, I love it when you read a review when the the person is truly over the moon with the product. A while ago I bought the TQ Iridium power amp and knew I had something incredible. I had owned some pretty top flight solid state amps and valve amps in my time but I couldn't believe it when I heard Colins Iridium. After a year or so I was given the opportunity to buy another of Colins designs so I had to sell the Iridium as I couldn't afford both. I ended up selling it to a guy who was a real amplifier nut, I have never seen so many high end amps and he had huge class A amps from all over the world, he wanted to hear the Iridium before he bought it, so I was a wee bit anxious to be honest. After about maybe 60seconds of hearing the Iridium he started counting out the cash.
    The chap started texting me the following week saying how delighted he was. He ended up buying some TQ speaker cables from me, he went on to buy matching power chord and interconnects, but he was a bit unsure about the interconnects.

Colins amps are rare, when you find one you know you have struck it lucky.
    James,
    I had read your amp build threads on TAS and had always thought that one day I would get one of Colin s creations in my set up. Colin was kind enough to include wiring diagrams and some press reviews.

My wife commented on it actually sounding like a 4k amp!!!

Having tried it on the cans Im again just amazed at what it can do...it just makes music sound the way you hoped it would.

Brian said to me "that will be the last amp you buy!"....he could well be right there.

I'm Gary.

Has Brian heard it Tony?
    Supposed to be a corker.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Brian.

Haven't heard it Gary , just one of those gut feelings . I hope me and you can remedy that soon mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Mike.

Here is it's twin.....

Sat on some oak feet mainly for looks, it's now sitting in my HiFi unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast