+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore

I'm tony.

Default Claymore

I scan the the private exhibitions the same as most of the troops with a psychological wish list of kit that you would love to own but could never do when it was new.
    Well Ive been lucky on a few occasions getting myself some great sounding kit within my budget.

Saw Colin Wonfor was selling a Claymore (his Claymore!!!) and jumped out my seat. Colin has done the business for as long as I have been into it and strikes me as one of those guys that just loves music and letting people enjoy it through his creations.

Well I pulled the trigger and the deal was done...amp duly arrived as promised.

I like my cans-currently running senn 700s, plumbed the Claymore in and fired it up utilising the on board USB DAC and inbuilt headphone amp-mutch scratching of head ensued.

I had been using a battery powered HPA/DAC that in my humble opinion was outstanding(albeit at a tenth of the retail price of the Claymore). As a USB headphone rig its outstanding-really letting the 700s do they're stuff-no high end nastiness that can some times be levelled at them.

I will endeavour to try my 650 s with it and report back.

Ok...down to brass tacks...In the main rig.

I principally run 57s as my main speakers...purchased off one of the troops on here-they can be a bit funny amp wise as they present a difficult load impedance wise-the Claymore flung them around like an empty tracksuit (rag dolled them). 57s are an acquired taste-I love them for they're speed,accuracy and naturalness.

Well...the Claymore does the business and then some!!! I wanted a top notch SS amp that would tick the boxes of valve/d class but with more grunt without losing the finesse.

It does it!!!

I was front end guy first...this amp has made me rethink

Sat listening to music all afternoon yesterday into the small hours of this morning.

Chopped and changed speakers from 57s-/electric beach frugels/spendor sp1s....all different flavours-the frugels with rock really took me aback.

It has a rightness-loads of grunt and a listenability thats made me run through my record colection (spotify is earning its money!).

A special amp!!!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I scan the the private exhibitions the same as most of the troops with a psychological wish list of kit that you would love to own but could never do when it was new.
    Well Ive been lucky on a few occasions getting myself some great sounding kit within my budget.

Saw Colin Wonfor was selling a Claymore (his Claymore!!!) and jumped out my seat. Colin has done the business for as long as I have been into it and strikes me as one of those guys that just loves music and letting people enjoy it through his creations.

Well I pulled the trigger and the deal was done...amp duly arrived as promised.

I like my cans-currently running senn 700s, plumbed the Claymore in and fired it up utilising the on board USB DAC and inbuilt headphone amp-mutch scratching of head ensued.

I had been using a battery powered HPA/DAC that in my humble opinion was outstanding(albeit at a tenth of the retail price of the Claymore). As a USB headphone rig its outstanding-really letting the 700s do they're stuff-no high end nastiness that can some times be levelled at them.

I will endeavour to try my 650 s with it and report back.

Ok...down to brass tacks...In the main rig.

I principally run 57s as my main speakers...purchased off one of the troops on here-they can be a bit funny amp wise as they present a difficult load impedance wise-the Claymore flung them around like an empty tracksuit (rag dolled them). 57s are an acquired taste-I love them for they're speed,accuracy and naturalness.

Well...the Claymore does the business and then some!!! I wanted a top notch SS amp that would tick the boxes of valve/d class but with more grunt without losing the finesse.

It does it!!!

I was front end guy first...this amp has made me rethink

Sat listening to music all afternoon yesterday into the small hours of this morning.

Chopped and changed speakers from 57s-/electric beach frugels/spendor sp1s....all different flavours-the frugels with rock really took me aback.

It has a rightness-loads of grunt and a listenability thats made me run through my record colection (spotify is earning its money!).

A special amp!!!
    Nice one Tony, under different circumstances that amp would have been mine but I've already maxxed out on my bass gear recently and theres a new car needing too.

Pleased its doing the business for you, sounds like it got a good home (if not mine)
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes nice one Tony, look forward to hearing sometime.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm tony.

Just off the phone to Brian...happy to have a wee sesh at my place-sticky buns on me.

It sounds pretty special to me-proofs in the pudding!!!!

yer always welcome....nice to host a gathering of the clans!!!!

I'm Brian.

Aye , good talkin to ye buddy . I'll get back to you when I get back from my holiday
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm gone.

Yep, a fabulous amp on rock and electronica.
    Astonishing midrange rez, openness and control, that was the real standout for me.

I'm Brian.

Didn't you review this amp Jerry ? Got a link to the review please
    Regards
    Brian

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Didn't you review this amp Jerry ?
    Nope.

I bought one, but it got a bit damaged in the post -- had a good listen to it, though, it was just a bit bent and needed a paint refresh. Hugely impressive (as in the best I had heard) on some music like the aforementioned rock and electronica, but a bit feisty at the top end for my classicals. I returned it and it was fixed up and resold to someone else.
    I was definitely a bit gutted and pined for a couple of months! I really missed what it did well - but the original owner agreed with me that it wasn't the best choice for most of my type of music.

I'm tony.

Pretty much spot on Jerry....With folk/blues/jazz its sublime. I am not much of a classical chap.

It plays with electrostatics exceedingly well.

A very special bit of hi fi Im privileged to have stewardship of....

To say Im happy would be an understatement!!!

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Nope.

I bought one, but it got a bit damaged in the post -- had a good listen to it, though, it was just a bit bent and needed a paint refresh. Hugely impressive (as in the best I had heard) on some music like the aforementioned rock and electronica, but a bit feisty at the top end for my classicals. I returned it and it was fixed up and resold to someone else.
    I was definitely a bit gutted and pined for a couple of months! I really missed what it did well - but the original owner agreed with me that it wasn't the best choice for most of my type of music.
    OK thanks Jerry
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast