+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new cartridge chez Cagey

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looks kinda cool on the end of yer FX-1200 (with all that 'gubbins' fitted), Kevin. Glad it sounds good, too! Always did like the cartridges Technics produced. Enjoy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

Talking about MCs from back in the day I recently got hold of a NOS Yamaha MC-1x, with a tapered beryllium tube cantilever. My MC experience isn't extensive, but compared to a Zyx R100, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Hana EL, AT33M, and Ortofon Vivo Red - the Yammy is easily the best of the bunch.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Love the look of that too, Bob. The best of these classic designs, from the heyday of vinyl replay, often outperform modern items. You should make that picture into your avatar!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

It does look pretty cool, doesn't it, Marco? Kind of retro-modern. It shows what the Japanese corporations could do when they put their mind to it. I use the cartridge on a Kenwood KD7010 (aka 990), which, GyroSE notwithstanding, is easily the best turntable I've ever had. I sometimes wonder if I should take the "plinth" off it and run it as a "spider edition" - like here:

And I've just found this too: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ng-vinyl-naked
    Last edited by morris_minor; 29-04-2016 at 13:13. Reason: added link

I'm James.

Beast of a turntable. Not seen one of those before!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Bob.

Here's my KD7010 wearing it's black skirt to hide those butch legs . .

I'm Hugo.

The KD-990 does definitely sound better without its plinth, partly because the plinth acts as a sounding board for the mains transformer. I've had to fashion a small wooden box for the controls of mine, and at some point I'll need to cover the circuit board to protect the exposed components. The deck also sounds better without those big feet - I use OEM Stillpoints. Here is mine at the recent Styl:us vinyl show (more photos here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-us-Vinyl-Show ):

Quote Originally Posted by morris_minor View Post
    It does look pretty cool, doesn't it, Marco? Kind of retro-modern. It shows what the Japanese corporations could do when they put their mind to it. I use the cartridge on a Kenwood KD7010 (aka 990), which, GyroSE notwithstanding, is easily the best turntable I've ever had. I sometimes wonder if I should take the "plinth" off it and run it as a "spider edition" - like here:

And I've just found this too: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ng-vinyl-naked

I'm Neal.

The feet I agree with, I use oak cones under mine, the plinth I'm not so sure there's any difference......
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    The KD-990 does definitely sound better without its plinth, partly because the plinth acts as a sounding board for the mains transformer. I've had to fashion a small wooden box for the controls of mine, and at some point I'll need to cover the circuit board to protect the exposed components. The deck also sounds better without those big feet - I use OEM Stillpoints. Here is mine at the recent Styl:us vinyl show (more photos here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-us-Vinyl-Show ):
    That looks impressive Hugo! I see you've mounted a different tonearm; what did you think the shortcomings were with the stock arm? I like the little housing you've made for the control switches too . .

[Mods: is it worth moving these Kenwood posts to a different thread - they've somewhat hijacked Kevin's OP ]

I'm Kevin.

I think thread drift like this is really interesting. Maybe an idea to add something to the title about the Kenwood deck?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast