+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 220v

I'm James.

Default 220v

Good morning I'm thinking of bidding on a tube buffer but noticed it's rated at 220v, is this OK to use in the UK? Cheers jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Dave.

It depends on the design and construction. We, sometimes, can have 250 volts in the UK and that can give rise to issues with equipment built to cope with just 220 volts.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Good morning I'm thinking of bidding on a tube buffer but noticed it's rated at 220v, is this OK to use in the UK? Cheers jim
    It depends on the voltage you get where you live.
    The UK is nominally 230VAC (because this is what most of Europe has), is 240VAC for most of the country (which falls within the allowable percentages of the nominal 230VAC), and in a few areas is 250VAC (which still falls with the allowable percentages of the nominal 230VAC).

Despite all this I distinctly remember an amplifier motor boating at the last Nebo - the mains voltage was measured at 218VAC, so Hartlepool area is anyone's guess.

Is the buffer Chinese made and cheap as chips?
    I'd give it a miss if it is.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It depends on the design and construction. We, sometimes, can have 250 volts in the UK and that can give rise to issues with equipment built to cope with just 220 volts.
    I'll probably give this one a miss then, cheers dave
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Chinese and pretty cheap, I'll save me pennies and get something proper

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Chinese and pretty cheap, I'll save me pennies and get something proper
    If it's a Yaqin it'll work fine, but won't sound very good. The original Musical Fidelity X-10D is cheap enough on eBay and sounds way better. I've compared them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If it's a Yaqin it'll work fine, but won't sound very good. The original Musical Fidelity X-10D is cheap enough on eBay and sounds way better. I've compared them.
    Cheers Geoff, I missed out on one of those a bit back

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

A couple of years ago I bought an Italian Exposure preamp rated at 220v before thinking all of this through. When we originally moved here it was an out-of-town area which had experienced an increase in housing development and our lights would flicker occasionally. The mains voltage at the time was generally under 230v. Subsequently they improved the local grid so that it's constantly 240-250v. On the basis that that's up to 14% over the amp's rating I decided to pass it on to someone in mainland Europe and found a UK version instead. On the upside the experience was cost neutral and I learned a few things. Normal peaks and troughs in demand here seem to move it by 2.5% either way.

Pete

I'm James.

Pulled the trigger on a yaquin cd3, musical fidelity x10s are thin ont ground

I'm Neil.

I also wonder how insurance companies would respond in the case of an equipment failure of a 220v appliance.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast