+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speaker ideas to partner Armstrong 421 amp

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    That's what I thought initially Geoff but it looks like (asking) prices have risen quite sharply in recent times. There are a few pairs of AR4s on ebay just now and they are all significantly more than this pair. Also worth noting that this pair has the more desirable cloth surrounds and has been recapped and restored.
    Yes, I saw this, most considerably more.
    Spendorman

I'm David.

Thanks guys. Just had a look at all your very wise options. Pity most selling are collection only. Bummer. Still, I like the Mordant Shorts and the ARs. There are AR7s, smaller. nd starting bid is low - any good? Going to look at Celestions too as recommended.

I'm Geoff.

AR7s are very prone to rotted foam cone surrounds. Can be fixed, but a nuisance. AR4Xa have treated fabric surrounds and don't suffer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

The little Missions are good, anyone else tried them?

I was not too keen on the Celestion Ditton 15.
    Spendorman

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkandjump70 View Post
    Thanks guys. Just had a look at all your very wise options. Pity most selling are collection only. Bummer. Still, I like the Mordant Shorts and the ARs. There are AR7s, smaller. nd starting bid is low - any good? Going to look at Celestions too as recommended.
    AR7s are decent. As Geoff says, unless they have been done, the foam surrounds rot and will need replaced. The surrounds are readily available for £20 and it is a really simple job to fit them. The main thing is to be sure that the drive units are original and the tweeters are working.

I'm David.

Looking at a cheap pair of MS Carnivals. Or, AR7s or similar. Think I'll go cheap and get a decent pair later. Some great advice - all soaked up in my tiny brain. Very much appreciated. My experience is with 80s stuff only. Old horn cabs look funky!

I'm jamie.

Try and go for pageant 2's if you like mordant short. They are above festivals in the range .
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123