+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which valve amp kits?

I'm Darryl.

Default Which valve amp kits?

I’m just getting back into the world of home audio again after a +20 year break and have decided its finally time to build a valve amp.

I had a quick look through the DIY Links thread but couldn’t see many links specific to valve kits. I’m sure this question has come up before but could people please suggest ‘tried and tested’ valve amp kit suppliers that they have experience of?

A few which I’ve found after a brief series of Googling…..

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/

http://www.audion.co.uk/Kits/kits.html

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers Darryl

BTW, I’m selling my Kelvin Labs integrated amp to help fund this, please see the classified section – sorry for the blatant plug, let me know if I need to remove this line.

I'm Geoff.

All three suppliers should offer good quality I'd say. I'd be inclined to see if you can get a look at the instruction/construction details. That's where some kits fall down. I reckon they'll have to go some to be a big improvement on a good solid state Class A like the Kelvin Labs though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Depends just what you want to build. There is also:

http://bottlehead.com/bottlehead-products/
    Nick.

danilo Guest

Take some care with the Bottlehead gear.
    Their Amps utilise Very inexpensive components and especially Cheapo 70 v speaker line voltage transformers, 'press ganged' into output transformer duty.
    Which they made to work.. OK..for what it is, but hardly the best/normal configuration.
    Upgrades to 'normal' output transformers, Raises the price to where Bottlehead is too simply too many $$ for what is received.
    Just my 2 pfennings

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The WD kits you cannot go wrong with IMHO. The KEL 84 in particular is great VFM.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Darryl.

Thanks for the feedback chaps, much appreciated.

Cheers Darryl

I'm inthescottishmafia.

What sort of amp are you looking to build?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The WD kits you cannot go wrong with IMHO. The KEL 84 in particular is great VFM.
    Couldnt agree more! Mine's probably ten years old and still amazes me. Also, the after-sales service is second to none. WD owner Matthew Snell couldn't be more friendly, helpful and obliging.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Darryl.

I remember the first WD kits and those received great reviews. I think its a good/positive sign that a company such as WD is still going strong.

The KEL84 does seem great value for money but am wondering whether the extra power in the KT88 would be useful for a bit of extra headroom.

Cheers Darryl

+ Reply to Thread