+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More about Raspberry Pi - Gaplessness

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you mean compression artifacts removal then? I have to say I dont really notice them, or havent....maybe I have it on then? dunno... I as referring to what i classed as gapless, IE, no gaps.... you learn new things all the time
    Where does compression come into the conversation?

Gapless is just that - no gaps, as ripped from the original CD. If there are fade outs and silences in the original rip then there will be fade outs and silences on playback with gapless playback, just as there were on the original CD.
    If those silences are being shortened on playback then some kind of processing algorhythm is being applied, and its effects are, in my opinion, undesirable.

My last mobile phone wouldn't support gapless playback, and it was annoying that there were silences between tracks on something like Deep Purple's "Made In Japan", because the tracks were intentionally segued one into another (and not by me).
    And this was despite installing a media player (WinAmp) which claimed to give gapless playback.

My current mobile phone has the same media player installed (WinAmp), and this time around there are no gaps in the segues, just as if I were playing the CD, and this is an altogether better situation from my perspective.

With both devices the media player the came installed on the device was incapable of playing the tracks without a dropout in sound, something which irritated me immensely.

If your media player is removing gaps then your settings might be set for crossfading, removing detected silences, or something along those lines, then it's likely to be DSP driven, and anything like that is unnecessary and undesirable.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Guy.

If you listen to Abbey Road on vinyl or CD, the tracks Sun King/Mean Mr Mustard/Polythene Pam/Bathroom Window are continuous music, with no silent passages (gaps?), as there are between Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers or Come Together/Something. Whether gaps appear or not depends on whether the record producer(s) put them there or not. On some players and devices (too many, I think), there are silences (gaps) in between all tracks. I guess it is a bit more tricky to implement continuous play while streaming the tracks. On live albums the problem is particularly evident as the audience suddenly suspends its applause for 1 - 2 seconds and then resumes, as if they were frozen for 2 seconds.

Anyway, the answer I have discovered is that the gap is very small, although discernible with RP3/moode, but absent with Windows/Foobar and RP3/Runeaudio. The latter is my currently favoured combo and is under heavy testing to make sure there are no other surprises. Moode and Runeaudio look and feel very similar and seem to have much the same configuration settings, as if they started life as the same product. Moode seems to major more on internet radio and commercial streaming services.

All of these are played via USB into a DAC and sound identical. It is just the functionality that is bugging me.
    --
    Regards,
    Guy

Music>iTunes>Minimserver>BubbleUPnP>RP3Runeaudio>
    CambridgeAudioDACMagic>CyrusIIIi>Mission752>MyEars

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I'm surprised that very few folk complain about the lack of support for gapless playback.
    I don't suffer from it myself - gapless playback has been a feature of the Squeezebox way of doing things for years.
    Chris,
    I have had several Roku Soundbridges for 10 years or so, which occupied the same market territory as the Squeezebox, and also had gapless from day 1. I never knew there was an issue until I decided to abandon them as obsolescent, and started into UPnP/DLNA. That was a shock, to say the least.
    --
    Regards,
    Guy

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by MarmiteSandwich View Post
    If you listen to Abbey Road on vinyl or CD, the tracks Sun King/Mean Mr Mustard/Polythene Pam/Bathroom Window are continuous music, with no silent passages (gaps?), as there are between Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers or Come Together/Something. Whether gaps appear or not depends on whether the record producer(s) put them there or not. On some players and devices (too many, I think), there are silences (gaps) in between all tracks. I guess it is a bit more tricky to implement continuous play while streaming the tracks. On live albums the problem is particularly evident as the audience suddenly suspends its applause for 1 - 2 seconds and then resumes, as if they were frozen for 2 seconds.

Anyway, the answer I have discovered is that the gap is very small, although discernible with RP3/moode, but absent with Windows/Foobar and RP3/Runeaudio. The latter is my currently favoured combo and is under heavy testing to make sure there are no other surprises. Moode and Runeaudio look and feel very similar and seem to have much the same configuration settings, as if they started life as the same product. Moode seems to major more on internet radio and commercial streaming services.

All of these are played via USB into a DAC and sound identical. It is just the functionality that is bugging me.
    there is one more to add, so maybe you give it a try too
    Volumio

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    there is one more to add, so maybe you give it a try too
    Volumio
    Cheers, will do.
    --
    Regards,
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by MarmiteSandwich View Post
    Chris,
    I have had several Roku Soundbridges for 10 years or so, which occupied the same market territory as the Squeezebox, and also had gapless from day 1. I never knew there was an issue until I decided to abandon them as obsolescent, and started into UPnP/DLNA. That was a shock, to say the least.
    I'm none too impressed with what I've seen of UPnP/DLNA.
    I'm also quite bemused with all the chat about this player and that player wrt RasPi builds - I don't have the hassles of this functionality and that functionality being problematic.
    The LMS on my NAS just dishes out the files, and the Squeezebox players just keep on rendering the streams they receive without missing a beat.

When I do get round to playing with RasPi it will be to make a player compatible with LMS.
    Chris

I'm Will.

I'm also quite bemused with all the chat about this player and that player wrt RasPi builds - I don't have the hassles of this functionality and that functionality being problematic.
    The LMS on my NAS just dishes out the files, and the Squeezebox players just keep on rendering the streams they receive without missing a beat.

When I do get round to playing with RasPi it will be to make a player compatible with LMS.
    Hi Chris, use piCorePlayer if and when you take the plunge...I've had my SBtouch(EDO)/MDAC living room client synchronised with my kitchen IQaudio piDAC (piCorePlayer) for about 6 months, without any issues...piCorePlayer is bullet proof!

R.E. Gapless on winamp, it can be a bit of a faff with WASAPI & W7 onwards, but can be achieved by using SoX to transcode beforehand...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Richard.

never had any problems with streams on RPi. This little thing streams Full HD 1080p with DTS at high bitrates, even 3D if you like. So streaming a music is piece of cake for this if the SW is right and you have no issues on network. Obvious I talking about cable and not WiFi which I do not use for anything apart from working online and browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Chris, use piCorePlayer if and when you take the plunge...I've had my SBtouch(EDO)/MDAC living room client synchronised with my kitchen IQaudio piDAC (piCorePlayer) for about 6 months, without any issues...piCorePlayer is bullet proof!

R.E. Gapless on winamp, it can be a bit of a faff with WASAPI & W7 onwards, but can be achieved by using SoX to transcode beforehand...
    Thanks Will.

PiCorePlayer is exactly what I'd be looking at - I've seen very few negative comments about it, and comments in general concur that it's pretty well bomb proof.

The Winamp I'm using is the Android mobile version, and as I've found the gapless thing didn't work on an older Android version, but is quite happy on the version my current Smartphone runs on.
    I was surprised to find that the WinAmp mobile player is not currently in the Play store, but if you Google around you'll find the player. Just takes a bit of detective work.

On my laptops and desktops I just use Foobar as my go to player, and I don't have issues with gapless playback.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    never had any problems with streams on RPi. This little thing streams Full HD 180p with DTS at high bitrates, even 3D if you like. So streaming a music is piece of cake for this if the SW is right and you have no issues on network. Obvious I talking about cable and not WiFi which I do not use for anything apart from working online and browsing.
    I'm a telecomms installation engineer, and 30 or so years ago I was told by just about everyone that cable is a thing of the past and that everything would be run wireless.
    I still install cable, although these days it's usually data cable.
    I'm still waiting for the wireless Panacea to show its head above the parapet - with both telephony and data installation wired is quickest and best for reliability.

WiFi has its uses, but if you want it reliable stick to cabled.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast