+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound quality of streaming software for Raspberry Pi

I'm Chris.

Default Sound quality of streaming software for Raspberry Pi

Given that streaming is from a Raspberry Pi it seems there are a fair few options as to which software package to use and indeed which version of the chosen software.

The criteria is SOUND QUALITY so ignore all other aspects for the sake of this thread.

Firstly I would like your opinions on which software is best for SQ

Secondly I would like to know if version updates change the SQ and is it always for the better?

Thanks

I'm Josie.

I found Moode better than Volumio for one... So has a few more here including Marco.

Also, Tim (he of Moode) posts here and is a lovely chap to deal with... So I'd suggest Moode. New version out too to which I need to pull my finger out and install. lol

Hope that helps
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I found Moode better than Volumio for one... So has a few more here including Marco.

Also, Tim (he of Moode) posts here and is a lovely chap to deal with... So I'd suggest Moode. New version out too to which I need to pull my finger out and install. lol

Hope that helps
    Jo
    Thanks Josie. So that's one vote for Moode being better than Volumio. When you install the update come back and let us know how the SQ compares.

I'm rupert.

+1

coming from Volumio (which is great), Moode software and configuration is much more polished IMHO. I cannot comment on SQ, as both seem to be quite similar to my ears. Tim is very active and actually listens to his users which is a great + for anything that runs with software, so if SQ where to be a problem, it would be corrected very quickly.
    Last edited by r100; 18-04-2016 at 16:33.

I'm Marc.

Just putting in my vote for Subsonic (easy way to get it on a Pi is with ww.DietPi.com)

Streaming wise, it's 320kbs mp3 anywhere on the internet with a webbrowser.

In 'Jukebox' mode (ie playing straight out of the Pi (ideally with proper dac)) it's native file format - handled by ffmpeg (which is excellent).

You can also stream over the internet, to a suitable player (eg VLC) in native format (assuming you have sufficient bandwidth)

I've not tried them for a while, but I don't think the mpd based players (moode/volumio) do 'streaming' they're just playback from the pi (or did I miss something?)
    Last edited by Rothchild; 18-04-2016 at 17:08.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Just putting in my vote for Subsonic (easy way to get it on a Pi is with ww.DietPi.net)

Streaming wise, it's 320kbs mp3 anywhere on the internet with a webbrowser.

In 'Jukebox' mode (ie playing straight out of the Pi (ideally with proper dac)) it's native file format - handled by ffmpeg (which is excellent).

You can also stream over the internet, to a suitable player (eg VLC) in native format (assuming you have sufficient bandwidth)

I've not tried them for a while, but I don't think the mpd based players (moode/volumio) do 'streaming' they're just playback from the pi (or did I miss something?)

Yes, you neglected to compare SQ which is what this thread is about

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    +1

coming from Volumio (which is great), Moode software and configuration is much more polished IMHO. I cannot comment on SQ, as both seem to be quite similar to my ears. Tim is very active and actually listens to his users which is a great + for anything that runs with software, so if SQ where to be a problem, it would be corrected very quickly.
    This part of the problem. I have asked Tim before about SQ and he refers to the absence of drop outs, glitches and clicks etc. Those things should be a given. I would love to know about Audiophile sound quality.

I'm Marc.

SQ wise it sounds like a hi res mp3 when streamed and a cd straight out of the box. The fun bit is that with dietpi I can install both mpd and subsonic (and ampache should I wish) and compare them all without re imaging or rebooting - I'll give it a go for you.

I'm Richard.

most of these have same core so I don't think there would be much difference in SQ. However you can do a bit of tweaking and thats where you can gain or loose.
    Not sure what is done in Moode as I have not tried that cos it lacks some bits which I need for my streamer kit to be fully working.

Volumio, RuneAudio and Moode all use MPD as player so if you play with mpd.conf you can change SQ

here is my config which I using in Volumio

Code:
    ###################################
    # Auto generated mpd.conf file
    # please DO NOT edit it manually!
    # Use player-UI MPD config section
    ###################################

follow_outside_symlinks "yes"
    follow_inside_symlinks "yes"
    db_file "/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache"
    sticker_file "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"
    log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"
    pid_file "/var/run/mpd/pid"
    music_directory "/var/lib/mpd/music"
    playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
    state_file "/var/lib/mpd/state"
    user "mpd"
    bind_to_address "any"
    port "6600"
    zeroconf_enabled "no"
    zeroconf_name "volumio"
    filesystem_charset "UTF-8"
    id3v1_encoding "UTF-8"
    gapless_mp3_playback "yes"
    auto_update "no"
    group "audio"
    max_connections "20"

audio_output {

type "alsa"
    name "Output"
    device "hw:0,0"
    mixer_device "hw:0"
    mixer_index "0"
    dop "no"
    auto_resample "no"
    auto_channels "no"
    auto_format "no"

}
    Last edited by rikardo1979; 18-04-2016 at 17:38.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    SQ wise it sounds like a hi res mp3 when streamed and a cd straight out of the box. The fun bit is that with dietpi I can install both mpd and subsonic (and ampache should I wish) and compare them all without re imaging or rebooting - I'll give it a go for you.
    That would be excellent Thanks.

I have never heard of dietpi so best get and Google it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast