View Poll Results: Would you like to have a reward system?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 7.89%
  • No

35 92.11%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding this forum

I'm Richard.

Question Regarding this forum

Not sure if this is the right place to ask so if not please move elsewhere

I am pretty new to this community and I like to find a lot of useful stuff here and some very clever and helpful people around

I am computer geek and have been with comps since early 90's. I spend a lot of time online doing a lot of stuff and I use, administrate or moderate on many forum sites and communities.
    I work on a lot of forum systems like myBB, phpBB, XenForo, etc...

I really miss some bit and pieces here especially some kind of a user ranking system, or award system. The reason being as for me as a new user I do not know how to find the right person who can help. Or if I do find some post very helpful how do I say thank you or how do I say I like some stuff without unnecessary posts like "that was it, thank you", "thanks, that helps" which just flood the whole threads and forum in general.
    Thank you can brows pages after pages of this kind of replies which are not really helpful to someone who search some answers.
    Hope you got my point here

Is this something what can be taken for a consideration? Any chance to have something like this here maybe?

I'm Kevin.

What is wrong with a polite "thank you" and an acknowledgment that it has fixed your problem.
    Saying "I like" the post does not say if it was helpful or not in resolving an issue.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    What is wrong with a polite "thank you" and an acknowledgment that it has fixed your problem.
    Saying "I like" the post does not say if it was helpful or not in resolving an issue.
    nothing wrong, but is just flooding board with replies which are not useful and helpful to anyone else.. so simple "Thank you" button do exactly this

I'm Richard.

Also I do not see any notification no my panel when there is new reply in subscribed threads. Is there an option to enable this somewhere but I do not see it? And I dont mean to receive notification emails

I'm Andy.

If it is anything like the rep system on Wigwam I'd say "no thanks". Whilst it's not always the case, some of the highest rated people are only there because they have a coterie of followers who simply agree with whatever they say. Often they are rude and dismissive to any outsider and their rep is the opposite of their actual usefulness and helpfulness. Of course, this is a different forum, but my feeling is that this system breeds bullies and sycophants by encouraging cliques and mutual back slapping.

Just my view of course.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    The reason being as for me as a new user I do not know how to find the right person who can help.
    I am not sure what you mean by this Richard. There are loads of experts on this forum who are more than happy to help out etc. Why not just post a thread and they would find you. They would comment on that thread if they wanted to, not because they have to. Would you just want to mail them questions?
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by this Richard. There are loads of experts on this forum who are more than happy to help out etc. Why not just post a thread and they would find you. They would comment on that thread if they wanted to, not because they have to. Would you just want to mail them questions?
    nope
    I always think out of the box. You looking at this as an User but I see this from other side, like admin.

With this system where people reply just to thank you simply flooding the whole board with tons of messages with no value for anyone, apart from user you thanking you or you liking his/her post.
    All this messages have no value what so ever for others. They just fill the space and make it more difficult for you as a user trying to search for informative stuff. I have to just dig through pages and pages to find posts which actually have some technical or informative value

So posting a new thread without searching is big in the forum etiquette and in most places against the rules. In places where I am administrator or moderator we strictly advice people to search and read before they create new thread.
    So if this is found the thread is merged or post moved and user kindly advice once to not to do so. 2nd time is usually a warning...

And to be honest to search this place is a real nightmare...

I'm Simon.

I don't need smoke blowing up my arse. Like any forum you learn who to trust and who's full of it. Do we really need a points system.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I don't need smoke blowing up my arse. Like any forum you learn who to trust and who's full of it. Do we really need a points system.
    you dont get my point here at all
    is not about points and ego ... is about to keep the place tidy...so reduce posting stuff where you write "thanks" or anything like it ... where you can simply press Thanks or Like button instead

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    All this messages have no value what so ever for others. They just fill the space and make it more difficult for you as a user trying to search for informative stuff. I have to just dig through pages and pages to find posts which actually have some technical or informative value
    If there was a rule saying that all posts had to have some informative or technical value then I for one would probably have to stop posting here, which would be a shame.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast