+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cat + unstable turntable = broken cartridge + very scratched album + very sad hamish

I'm David.

Default cat + unstable turntable = broken cartridge + very scratched album + very sad hamish

I came home the other day and found my tt at a very wonky angle resting against a speaker. one of the twats had jumped on it and made it fall over, in the proccess of doing this scratched moon safari. what i didnt notice until todaywas that the cantalever (is that wat its called ?? the bit with the diamond on??) was bent. i took the catridge off today and noticed it, touched it, and it snapped off!
    can anything be done to repair it? or do i just need to buy a new cart?
    it was a oc9!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    I came home the other day and found my tt at a very wonky angle resting against a speaker. one of the twats had jumped on it and made it fall over, in the proccess of doing this scratched moon safari. what i didnt notice until todaywas that the cantalever (is that wat its called ?? the bit with the diamond on??) was bent. i took the catridge off today and noticed it, touched it, and it snapped off!
    can anything be done to repair it? or do i just need to buy a new cart?
    it was a oc9!

Sorry Hamish but if the stylus shank is gone then no, its scrap. The situation you describe is exactly why we don't have cats....because if that happened to me it would be on a one way trip out the door.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Claim on house insurance is possibly the best bet. Getting someone to replace the cantilever (a special tapered and gold-deposited one with butt-mounted diamond) is going to cost as much as an exchange via an AT stockist (used to be 25% discount on a new cartridge IIRC).

Have a word with our Mr Cawley and try to make the deck pussy-proof

P.S. I feel about Moon Safari the way Andre does about most modern pop/rock music......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

a special tapered and gold-deposited one with butt-mounted diamond
    Despite every fibre in my body telling me to make a comment about this, I am going to resist the temptation.

I'm ChrisB.

Very sorry to hear of your plight Hamish. Your contents insurance should pay out on this - Mine replaced a Koetsu a few years ago after a side swipe.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Despite every fibre in my body telling me to make a comment about this, I am going to resist the temptation.
    I'm going to have nightmares tonight...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm notAlone.

It's because I have a cat, that my TT is closed in a dedicated shelf.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm David.

cheers guys, after the swearing and shouting had subsided, hannah pointed out that we have insurance for this sort of thing! ... still ahve to pay the excess though eh im so annoyed!.. i need to rethink the turntable stand i think!
    i managed to change the little leds on it for uv ones today though... quite proud of my self for that... although i did burn my self on the soldering iron!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Smile

If like me, you have 6 cats, you have to make allowances, and make everything totally cat proof!

Maybe the insurance would pay for a Shelter 501??

BTW Hamish, http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4440 first image was taken with the new 50mm f/1.4, lovely lens.

Dave

I'm David.

very nice! You have the afs right? Yeah, i have the old d version! They are very nice lenses indeed! If I am ever down your way I shall make sure to bring you my 50 1.2 ais to play with! It's not as good a lens, but it provides such a nice look:

have you got into lightroom yet? there is a beta version of version 3 available for free download if you havent!

as a side note you should be proud of me after that convo we had where you had to explain how to install the time step.. i managed to do this today:

i might well give you a ring tomo to have a chat about this cart situation, if thats ok?
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 09-11-2009 at 23:29.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast