+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge Upgrade Recommendations

I'm Kostas.

Default Cartridge Upgrade Recommendations

Hello everyone,

I recently got my technics from a friend and thinking of buying a new MM cartridge to replace
    the provided ortofon om pro, as my friend suggested I should do also. I am looking for something
    around £200, and I have been reading really good reviews for the Nagaoka mp 200 recently. I also
    read some good reviews on the at150 mlx and they were comparing them as they have the same material for
    the cantilever. Does anyone have any suggestions or can share their experience with these cartridges? I know
    I should go for second hand to fit my price range.

Thanks a lot!
    Marantz PM 6005, Technics SL 1200 MK II, Q Acoustics 2020i

I'm Geoff.

Don't rule out the option of high output MC cartridges. There are some decent examples and they work into an MM input.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kostas.

I didn't know that! It will make it even harder to chose now I guess
    Marantz PM 6005, Technics SL 1200 MK II, Q Acoustics 2020i

I'm Geoff.

You could consider the Denon DL-110 high output MC. It works well in the Technics and would likely suit your system.

Don't let me put you off the Nagaoka though. They are nice too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Hi Kosta,

I would also consider the Shelter 201 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shelter-20...sAAOSwpDdVFdQ6) or the Sumiko Blue Point No 2. Both are really good cartridges for the money.

Some of the Grado cartridges are also worth considering: the Prestige series falls within your budget (the Gold is a rather nice cartridge) so might some of their wood bodied ones. They recently introduced the V2 versions so substantial savings can be found on their older models if you look around.

Cheers
    -j.

I'm Dave.

A bit more than your budget but the high output MC Hana EH, is very good and becoming popular.

I'm Robert.

Some really like the Denon DL-160, another high output mc (see customer reviews tab) http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL-160-Cartridge

I'm Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff.

I did like the Denon DL110 and 160, but I found them very boomy on the bass, and the clarity was not great, well it was till I tried a Nagaoka.

The MP200 bought used would fall into your budget.But they are very different carts. The Nagaoka will give you a somewhat recessed but clear top end, and a warm forward mid range - so really, it would be about system matching and what you want to hear. I like the fluid laid back warm but clear sound, yet if you are looking for more 'sparkle' and energy then maybe the Denon would be best.

I also mentioned the Ortofon 2M Bronze on your other thread, this is a fine cartridge, but is analytical and very clear, and a low mileage used one would be around your budget as well. it performs more akin to a HOMC in my opinion.

System and deck matching is quite important I found when picking a cart. As this becomes much of a hobby, even with a new cartridge, you'll be itching to try something else until you find what you want to hear. Sometimes you might try something new, then go back to the one you had before. I went through 10 till I settled on the MP200 then the MP500! Ive tried a few since the MP500 and always went back to it.

Also, are you using the Marantz phono stage? while it has a fine internal unit, I would look to changing the stage first, for cheap brilliant performance, a Trichord Dino would be a good start.

I personally think you get more for money on MM's in this price category than you do with MC's. I thought the MP200 was much better than the Dynavector 10x5 HOMC which is almost double its price.

One thing I know for sure - this is an never ending journey, you wont get it right first time. Just get something, enjoy it, try some others and as Rocky says, 'just keep moving forward'

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronicals View Post
    I did like the Denon DL110 and 160, but I found them very boomy on the bass, and the clarity was not great
    That sounds as though there was a mismatch somewhere. Arm maybe? Neither Denon is boomy and they do detail well with decent enough openness.

I'm Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That sounds as though there was a mismatch somewhere. Arm maybe? Neither Denon is boomy and they do detail well with decent enough openness.
    Could definitely be!

This was on a Project Genie and RPM6 with standard alloy arm, and then also the 9CC Carbon one piece arm. The Denon was definitely a boom fest on this setup. They do detail well, I did say that, but definitely not as well as a Nagaoka tried at the same time imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast