+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rega arms - origin counterweight

I'm richard.

At the risk of started a new thread .... a key point made above is that there are many, many mods available for Rega arms and TT's; you could spend your life throwing money at mods in search of empirical improvements. The desire is for a quick and worthwhile win at reasonable cost but its also crucial to know when to stop. The fact being that the total cost of the TT plus all mods in some peoples cases seems to exceed the cost of a new - and more recent - replacement TT. Its a worry ! but i don't think i'll go down that path.

The new Rega Planar 3 - that contains significant design changes but unless i'm mistaken there are a few other changes that look like 'mods' eg feet, subplatter etc.

So, the CW is a tempter and apart from the rewire (which seems major surgery to me) the other one thats seemingly easy to fit and gets lots of forum time seems to be the sub-platter whereby you swap the plastic one for a aluminium/steel version. I can't believe the 'night and day' comments attached to those but the volume of positive experiences seems almost compelling.

Also, in addition to your valuable comments, there are also a few dealers on AOS that may usefully comment here and it would be interesting to hear their view on mods in this space.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Hi Clive - Its the April 2016 edition; so current one.

regards, richard
    Thanks for that, there was me looking in the May 2016 edition that arrived this morning.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Michael.

Default if it ain’t broken don’t try to fix it

My toying around with Rega arms started with a knackered RB250 bought with (on) my TT2.
    I replaced it with a stock RB251 and sent it to be serviced and rewired.
    The original plastic stub was glued into the arm tube and was removed during servicing.
    A steel stub and small tungsten cw was fitted with two effects:
    The tungsten cw fitted better under the lid, but sat at the rear edge of the stub with my Stanton 681.
    As I was able to grab an original expressimo heavyweight I tried it.
    For a side to side comparison of the TT2 and an LP12 I got another underslung cw and steel stub and did some critical listening.
    Results:
    - the original Rega wiring is not as bad as it’s reputation
    - the original steel cw on the plasic stub balances heavier carts than the small tungsten/steel combo, but needs more clearance under lids
    - tungsten/steel weight produces crisper sound, but only balances lighter carts
    - the heavyweight produces tighter bass and is better suited for heavier carts
    In the end I re-mounted the RB250 on the TT2 (as it still has a Heybrook sticker) and added a Mitchell VTA adjuster and Finger nut to the heavyweight mod just to be thorough …
    … and sold the LP12, the RB251 and the other weights.
    I would not have toyed around so much, if the bearings of the RB250 had not been knackered when I bought it and an LP12 had not crossed my path for a tenner.
    tbh there are similar changes in sound to be gained by replacing a felt mat with a silicone mat or a rubber/felt combo or or or or (went that way too)
    hth
    Michael

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Many third party counterweights clamp the weight to the rear stub I believe. Rega use(d) O-rings to decouple their RB300 series' weights and I wonder if that makes the difference as I....
    I would suggest that that is precisely what makes the difference as this is a well known mechanism. Neither coupled nor decoupled is necessarily correct but the difference on mechanical resonance between the two is well known and recognised.
    Account Deleted

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I would suggest that that is precisely what makes the difference as this is a well known mechanism. Neither coupled nor decoupled is necessarily correct but the difference on mechanical resonance between the two is well known and recognised.
    My experience also

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12