+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rega arms - origin counterweight

I'm richard.

Default Rega arms - origin counterweight

I've just seen the hi-fi choice mag review of the above on an RB300 - in short the improvement heard was 'night and day' . A gushing review. So, there must be plenty of users out there who have applied the same or similar who can underpin this review ?? ...... Was it the 'best £87 you can spend' ?? If so then I'm in !!

I'm John.

Hi Richard,

Most aftermarket counterweights should offer a slight improvement over the standard Rega stainless steel one. But a night and day difference? I don't think so.
    The Origin Live is fine, so is the Mitchell and the Clearaudio; I was quite happy with the Tungsten one by Rega. They will all do the job OK but again, don't expect anything drastic.
    As an upgrade most RB 300 users go for rewires and/or further structural modifications (Audiomods and such) - I haven't heard the latter so I can't comment; in either case though the bill starts adding up to the point where considering other possible alternatives might start to make sense.

-j.

I'm Graham.

I had the isoteknik counterweight on a rb250 and 300 made some difference. The only night and day change came about when I had them both rewired by audio origami

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemingway

Set-Up (So Far) Garrard 401 with Rega 300 arm & Black 2M, Longdog Audio twin valve dual input phono, Denon DVD 2500 Transport all through Creek Destiny Mk1 integrated amp into Rega RS3 Floor standers

I'm Kevin.

I had an RB251 with the AO mods and it was pretty good.
    A rewire, brass earth pin, foam fill and rear stub/low slung c/w transformed the arm, but costs as bit more than £87.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Many third party counterweights clamp the weight to the rear stub I believe. Rega use(d) O-rings to decouple their RB300 series' weights and I wonder if that makes the difference as I once claimed to 'hear the difference' between different O-ring materials :roll: I also once preferred the optional larger tungsten counterweight Rega made or still make, as it got the mass nearer to the pivots.

I agree with the above comments in that re-wiring these arms seems to make the largest 'improvements' and may I add that a wooden mounting board seems to work well also, although Michell decks contradict this I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Michael.

Underslung counterweights added definition to bass on a TT2 and an LP12. Compared on an RB250 and RB251 with steel stubs and tungsten counterweights and espressimo heavyweight. Plus the heavyweight sits nearer to the bearing, thus theoretically reducing effective mass.
    Michael

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

I'm richard.

Thanks for the replies. I think you're confirming my suspicions - that's such a change should not generate a night and day impact. Obviously I was wondering that as there are loads of rega arms out there that similarly a load of people would have experience of c/w mods and so could comment. It would be nice to see some more replies ! ....... Maybe I should hold onto my £87 squids !

I'm Geoff.

You have you be careful using underslung counterweights with Rega arms (and possibly other arms). If you use a light cartridge the counterweight can be close enough to foul the arm pillar as the arm is raised and the bottom of the weight swings inwards. I've had it happen with ZYX MCs which are pretty light in weight.

I'd be interested to know how an underslung weight can actually offer an improvement in sound on an arm where the orientation of the counterweight should make no difference due to the tight tolerances in the bearings which only offer horizontal or vertical movement. If it's balanced out, then it's balanced out, regardless of weight type. With a unipivot arm an underslung weight is more or less mandatory, but that's a different ball game.

I only used a few Rega arms and upgraded them to an extent, but decided they were not for me. I found the sound dull and shut in.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    I've just seen the hi-fi choice mag review of the above on an RB300 - in short the improvement heard was 'night and day' . A gushing review. So, there must be plenty of users out there who have applied the same or similar who can underpin this review ?? ...... Was it the 'best £87 you can spend' ?? If so then I'm in !!
    May I ask which issue of HiFi Choice you read this review?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm richard.

Hi Clive - Its the April 2016 edition; so current one.

regards, richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast