+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese tube amps

Default Chinese tube amps

Anybody purchased one of the cheap tube amps off the net or Ebay ,if so what are they like?

Mark
    Nad C315,Nad C515.Tannoy F1s,Pro-ject-USB Dac

Pro-ject headamp ,Chord Crimson/Cobra2

I'm Jason.

I bought a Yaqin MC10L, off the 'Bay but a private sale not a chinese/hk import.

Now I'm no expert, but I have to say to my ears it sounds bloody good, even stock. Plenty of power and a gorgeous wide soundstage with excellent tonal quality. I'm sure that tube aficionados will be spluttering into their tea right now, but for the £175 quid it cost me I think it's a good low cost entry to the world of tubes. I figured that if I didn't like it I may loose £25 quid selling on.

Now for the caveats - there have been some reports of 220v models having problems with UK mains, which can go up to 250+ volts in some places. Problems range from not working slight inconvenience to worrying incendiary tendencies. Replacing transformers with pukka 240v ones is expensive (£150 ish AFAIK) but there's a step down transformer I saw advertised for around £80. However, what it sounds like is anyones guess. My Yaqin has 240v on it and has so far, touch wood, been reliable. I don't leave it on unattended though - as much for the cost aspect as reliability worries, but I understand you shouldn't leave tube amps anyway.

I've tube rolled with some cheap (but reportedly good) russian ex-mil EL34 replacements with interesting results; not better, just different. Will have to try input tubes next.

So - if you can get a good one (240v compliant) there are some bargains to be had IMHO but caveat emptor, as ever!

Have fun!

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Jason.

Oh and I forgot - I'd be wary of buying from HK as the shipping charges can often be astronomical. I saw an MC10L for £150 but the shipping was over £200 - and you'll get stung for import duty if your unlucky.

I'd look for a secondhand UK sourced model. Ask the right questions of the seller and you should be fine.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm John.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The Mr Liang 845 SE is a very good amp.Built like a battleship,and good quality components.

I bought a Yaqin MC 100b second hand from a UK seller on ebay and I love it. It had original Chinese valves but I did a bit of rolling and ended up with Russian Electro Harmonix all round.
    I run mine off a Variac variable transformer (210v) because UK mains was producing 7.4 volts across the KT88 heater pins (should be 6.3) with a bias of 600mv.
    It sounds great IMHO. I for one will never go back to SS (previously had a Cyrus 7)

Cheers
    Alan.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marktdac View Post
    Anybody purchased one of the cheap tube amps off the net or Ebay ,if so what are they like?
    I may well be about to do just that!... I'll let you know how it goes.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

What are you after Mike?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    I may well be about to do just that!... I'll let you know how it goes.
    I thought you made your own amps mike
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    What are you after Mike?
    Audioromy FU13 of course!

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I thought you made your own amps mike
    Yep, done that from kits and a 'cloned' phono stage. But the above is SO cheap I couldn't even buy the parts for the price. I'm treating it like a (probably not very well) ready built kit. An 'organ donor' if you will!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast