+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Klipsch Heresy - some advice please

I'm Peter.

Default Early Klipsch Heresy - some advice please

Hi

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of what looks like early Klipsch Heresy in Oiled Oak. I don't have the serial numbers yet so I'm not sure of the details but they have the covers with the logo in the top corner rather than to the rectangular top centred plaque saying Klipsch. They are priced at ~£180 in fair condition (looks like they will need some cleaning up). The catch is they are in South Africa so need to figure shipping cost packaging and leg work around getting them back to London. I am off to SA next week so will see them before I get them.

Can I get some thoughts on what a decent pair of early Heresys would cost in the UK and any ones experience with them?

Thanks

Peter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Geoff.

They sound worth getting. I believe earlier examples are more desirable for some reason. Possibly driver quality. UK price for a decent pair can I guess be anything between £600 and £900. It seems to vary. The cost of shipping to the UK, properly crated up, is likely to be high though. The sound of the Heresy is an acquired taste for many, I'd definitely have a listen to them if you can.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Thanks - shipping will be boxed and boxed again and travel as additional luggage in the hold on the plane back with me. Its either that or I leave my kids behind and they can have a seat. Its a toss up at the moment.
    Not sure why I'm drawn to to them so.

Any thoughts on driving them with a Quad303 or are they strongly suited to valves.

Peter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Geoff.

Speakers come before children surely?

I reckon the more forgiving nature of the Quad 303 would suit them fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Peter up until very recently I owned a pair of Heresy II's and loved them, actually these were my second pair as I owned a pair about 10 years ago

The Heresy I was first introduced in about 1957, the Mk II was introduced in 1985, and then the Mk III much more recently. There were slight changes to the drivers used over time. All Heresys are VERY easy to drive; my first pair was driven by a 1.5w SET amp and believe me that is plenty, my second pair were driven by my Oto which is about 8w

I have not heard the Mk I or Mk III so I cannot comment on their sound compared to the Mk II's. I would suggest that valve amps are a better match for the Klipsch Heritage range, which includes the Heresy

If you can get a pair for £180 that's a bargain assuming they are working well

The way to tell the difference between the Mk I and Mk II is that the Mk I had the drivers mounted from behind the front baffle and the Mk II has them mounted from the front, here are a couple of pictures to see the difference:

Heresy 1

Heresy 2
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

JEEZ BEV! how old are you?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    JEEZ BEV! how old are you?
    Actually quite old....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Actually quite old....
    I bought my walking stick from Bev. She has no use for it since graduating to the Zimmer frame.

I'm Grant.

It was the "The Heresy I was first introduced in about 1957" that caught my eye..... thinking that she first heard them 59 years ago
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I love the Zimmer should have got one years ago
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast