+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD160 Restoration Project

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a couple of cheap but big improvements can be made by fitting a thick base of mdf. and adding either cork or that sticky black stuff to the underneath of the motor plate and inner platter... i prefer cork.
    also SRM Tech do platter sorbothane tripods for about £7 pounds.. these really bring the deck up a fair bit Andy, and for maybe £25 pounds is cheap as chips.
    Already done, Grant! I'll be posting some pix at some point.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

danilo Guest

Wondering about the rpm variance. My old Thorens tachs 'perfectly' ... Still.
    Thickness of the rubber belt impacts on Rpm though... totally counterintuitive, but True.
    An Oem belt might be the RPM solution?
    Could one fit an earlier sub-platter/spindle ?
    Never a big fan of the ones that had a pointy end rather than the earlier captive ball bearing

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Wondering about the rpm variance. My old Thorens tachs 'perfectly' ... Still.
    Thickness of the rubber belt impacts on Rpm though... totally counterintuitive, but True.
    An Oem belt might be the RPM solution?
    Could one fit an earlier sub-platter/spindle ?
    Never a big fan of the ones that had a pointy end rather than the earlier captive ball bearing
    Danilo,

I've got the RPM down to 33.7 rpm which is still some way away from 33.3rpm this was achieved by simply cleaning the belt and platter. My new belt hasn't arrived and I've still not set the suspension up properly so I think I should be able to improve on 33.7rpm!! This is only a fun project and if it runs a little quickly that's ok.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Grant.

I doubt you would hear that tbh.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Only a very minor update tonight, the electrics! This TD160 is about as simple as it gets. Basically I have the on/off switch and then the 33/45 selector. I firstly tested the 3 resistors in the little white plastic box, this is the rectangular box on the left of the picture below. All resistors tested within 5% tolerance of the stated values with the TD160 manual, so I'm happy and whilst this might explain why the TD160 runs a little quick I'm happy that I only had to get my multimeter out and not the soldering iron.

DSCN2222.jpg

The next thing to be dismanted was the 33/45 selector.

DSCN2298.jpg

Solder joints looked to be in fantastic order, no loose wires and both 33 and 45 rpm work when requested. I decided to dismantle and clean anyway.

DSCN2285.jpg

Putting this back together again was a complete PITA! I did eventually manage to get it all together again.

DSCN2224.jpg

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow's update is base board upgrade! Till tomorrow, see yeah.......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

I doubt you would hear that tbh.
    I've heard quite a few run too quick @ 33rpm, this example I own seems to spin at 33.7 rpm & 45.3 rpm!!!!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Grant.

Most non vernier decks like thorens run slightly fast. they are designed that way
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

BASEBOARDS BASEBOARDS BASEBOARDS!!!

The standard baseboard supplied by Thorens is pretty flimsy. It's 3mm chipboard and has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese.

DSCN2314.jpg

The feet are also pretty useless, they are simple rubber feet with a small hole in the middle which hides a 3mm by 30mm screw that fits the baseboard to the TD160's plinth. Over time these feet warp and can lead to the deck being unlevel.

DSCN2316.jpg

Thorens realised the baseboard was pretty poor and offered a thicker upgrade which was also included in the TD160 super, the feet unfortunately remained. The interner usually suggested replacing the original baseboard with birchply or MDF. I choose MDF due to the additional weight, easy ability to drill and better finish when spraying with paint. I hate working with birchply.

DSCN2325.jpg

I used the original baseboard as a template and simply cut a new baseboard, this was an old piece of MDF salvaged from the garage. All holed were filled in with wood filler. I wanted the ability to level the TD160 so I found some spiked feet and fitted them to the new baseboard. I also decided to use x4 35mm 4mm screws which are beefier than the old Thorens offerings and should hopefully improve the union between the baseboard to the plinth.

DSCN2327.jpg

The baseboard was sprayed satin black.

DSCN2337.jpg
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

BASEBOARDS PT2

DSCN2338.jpg

A close up of the new thicker improved baseboard with beefier screws, adjustable spiked feet and 12mm MDF.

DSCN2339.jpg

The new baseboard fitted with just one hole for the power lead, the baseboard will be modified when I purchase a tonearm for the deck.

DSCN2345.jpg

A final photograph showing a front on view of the new thicker baseboard.

Tomorrow's update details replinthing the TD160.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Kai.

Most non vernier decks like thorens run slightly fast. they are designed that way
    A Thorens with the right (original) belt should run spot on, I don't think they were designed crippled from the get go As they didn't use a standard size, the original belt is the only one I've found with the thickness just right. All the aftermarket belts I've seen have been either too thick (running fast) or too thin (slow). Haven't tried the Thakker belt though. After two different aftermarket belts I figured might as well get the original since it will last years anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast