+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SL-1200GAE sells out in 30minutes

I'm Richard.

Exclamation SL-1200GAE sells out in 30minutes

From Resident Advisor: https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=34321

The 50th anniversary edition went on sale in Japan this morning for $3,300 each.

The new Technics turntables went on sale today in Japan and sold out in 30 minutes.

Panasonic announced the SL-1200GAE model in time for the Technics brand's 50th anniversary. The improved, limited-edition turntable—with its redesigned motor and tonearm, as well as extra pitch-shifting controls—was expected to have a $4,000 price tag, Technics said in January. The first run of 300 units went on sale in Japan this morning for 356,400 yen (or about $3,300) each, the Tokyo Reporter says. They were sold out by 10:30 AM. "I didn't think the price was too high as we have confidence in our brand, but I didn't expect them to sell out so quickly," a representative of Panasonic told the Sankei Shimbun. Another 900 turntables will be made available for international sales, though it's unclear when.

I'm Richard.

Intentionally small initial run to generate PR? Even the follow up run of 900 units doesn't feel mass produced for an international product.

I'm Nick.

They said they are only making 1200 of the anniversary model. Will be followed by as many as they can sell of the standard one.
    Nick.

Mike_New Guest

It would seem to me that maybe Panasonic are playing some sort of obscure marketing gambit.
    Or maybe the people at the top are still not sure whether to commit to full production.

I'm Simon.

Technics in undersupply shocker, whoda thunk it?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Martin.

I wonder if they will jack the price up for the remaining 900 units.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rich.

I bet someone bought hundreds of them in one go to resell at yet again jacked up prices on eBay.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm John.

Jacked up from 4 grand? (that's before 2 grand on the mods!!)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    Jacked up from 4 grand? (that's before 2 grand on the mods!!)
    If they bought a joblot of them and resold individual ones there'll be someone who must have one. Just look at some of the eBay prices for stuff these days.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Martin.

Some more details here.

http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2016/04...in-30-minutes/

Seems the vinyl revival is also occurring in Japan.

I'd assumed the decks were on sale in retailers but it appears not, you order direct from Panasonic. So quite possible that some folk bought ten or twenty each.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread