+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SW1X: A review of a new DAC from a new company

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Thanks for that Chris.

If Slawa joins he will need to join as a Trade Member, and since you have declared yourself to have an interest in the enterprise, you will need to change your membership status.

Regards
    Barry
    Hi Barry
    ofcourse will do --- I'm off to see Slawa now and so will raise it with him ----- I'll still be buying and selling gear on here for purely personal use - I guess I should just flag that in the advert? I assume I can't have 2 profiles ?
    I dont want to misrepresent myself to anyone needless to say

cheers
    chris

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chris,

Nice review

If you're buying and selling purely for private use, then you won't need an account, but of course with Slawa being in the trade himself, then he'll need one when he joins. Enjoy your DAC

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Chris,

Nice review

If you're buying and selling purely for private use, then you won't need an account, but of course with Slawa being in the trade himself, then he'll need one when he joins. Enjoy your DAC

Marco.
    Thanks Marco --- I ve just been with Slawa and hopefully he will join this evening as a trade member --- and I am happy to put my association with SW1X on anything --- we've just had some new cases delivered for the Level 3 DACs and also now have a design for the USB/SPDIF and DAC in a single chassis ---- very exciting times ..... I hope to be able to (ideally) invite a few people over for a listening evening/bake off and for those further away I want to have a level one DAC & USB convertor available to audition --- I have our first dealer meetings planned for next week --- we know there is a lot of competition out there and we can never compete with their marketing budgets and we actually don't want to be a real mainstream product - we can only differentiate on quality and approach ...... I have worked for 30 years in the City and didn't enjoy the last 15 years ! so doing something I care about is important to me, and the same goes for sure with Slawa .... his hifi hobby was more serious than mine but we don't ever want to lose that enthusiasm ..... he's the only guy I know or buys a level 5 pair of monoblocks from a well known company and sets about rewiring them himself because he sees more performance ! he also collects pre war drivers for future speaker projects so it's a bit of an alladins cave chez Slawa .....we may be idealistic but it will be fun trying to achieve what we want to achieve and to be proud of our efforts and so far so good,but its very early days -- frankly I had no plans to become involved in a hifi business but to date I'm glad I have ---- the AoS audience is the type of customer base we want to attract and we simply say try us and see - our audition to purchase conversion rate has been v good so far --- our products wont be for everyone but we think there are more than enough enthusiasts out there to serve and the Level 1 equipment is a nice introduction we believe ..... enough waffle !
    tks again
    chris

I'm Brian.

This looks very interesting Chris . It's nice to be doing something you're enjoying for a change isn't it .

Good luck with the new venture and I'll be watching developments with interest
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    This looks very interesting Chris . It's nice to be doing something you're enjoying for a change isn't it .

Good luck with the new venture and I'll be watching developments with interest

Thanks a lot Brian --- yes it is a real relief and a very welcome change ! .... we live in hope !

I'm chris.

SOME BETTER PHOTOS

I'm Slawa.

Default SW1X Audio Design DAC 1

Greetings!

Thank you to Chris for sharing your impressions.

The review is pretty much reflective of what we at SW1X have been aiming to achieve with the sound- that is to resurrect the spirit of a recording.

We are convinced that an elegantly engineered circuit only performs at its best if it is made of high quality materials and components. It is just like cocking a delicious dish: a good recipe (NOS TDA1543 + single Germanium transistor I/V conversion + class A no feedback valve output stage), the finest ingredients (AN Kaisei, AN Standard, Purism capacitors, Allen Bradley resistors, Silver wiring, special un masked PCB) and execution with lot of love by SW1X.
    All what is left is to feed the DAC 1 with a recording and let it shine in your system.

A couple of pictures of inside of the DAC 1 for desert

Last edited by SW1X; 15-04-2016 at 11:11.

I'm Rob.

Can we have a photo of the back, so you can see the connections?
    Rob.