+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 401 Kokomo bearing

I'm Deleted.

Thinking about it I was briefly a member of a Lenco forum (I think it was) and I seem to recall a discussion of a bearing mod that used a ceramic or silicone nitride ball as the thrust pad - I wonder if it was this one. Anyway, the differing hardness issue was raised then and, as I recall, the manufacturer claimed that the specific ball used had been carefully chosen so that its hardness matched that of the bearing shaft. Now I'm not an expert on Garrard's but I would be very surprised if the bearing shaft is not made of tool steel. Whilst tool steel is very hard indeed, and an excellent choice, silicone nitride is very much harder and I'm not aware of any of these sintered ceramic materials that are as soft as tool steel. Rega will shortly be releasing their 'statement' turntable, the 'Naiad', and this uses a ceramic bearing (not as hard as silicone nitride), they have chosen to make both parts of the bearing from the same ceramic material. Those of you who are keen cyclists (not I as my gut will attest) will be aware of the range of wheel bearings available, steel, part ceramic and full ceramic ball races; the part ceramic that use ceramic balls in steel races are notorious for quick wear and noise.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 18-04-2016 at 09:34.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

You can have a chat with Terry @ Lorricraft he still knows one or two of the people who use to make the bearings and why they choose the materials they did.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Deleted.

I happen to have a 301 here now and that certainly uses a tool steel, or high- speed steel, main bearing shaft.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I happen to have a 301 here now and that certainly uses a tool steel, or high- speed steel, main bearing shaft.
    New project? Sorry to thread drift.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Sort of, yes.....
    Good luck!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Alan.

Steve
    I did the Kokomo mod on my 401 about 4 years ago and also found it had a better balance to the sound, whenever you have heard my Garrard at the Nebos it was with the Kokomo bearing
    The 401 is sometimes criticized as having a veiled or rolled of treble but tremendous bass energy and with the standard bearing I would agree but its still a fantastic turntable.
    The Kokomo on my turntable was indeed a silicon nitride ball and new end cap replacement for the the old thrust plate and IMO it tightens up the sound, the bass energy is still there but it doesent sound as bloated, there is better 3D image and fine detail IMO
    I had a look at my bearing after 2 years and there is a tiny round shiny area on the middle of the end of the bearing shaft which to me doesn’t have any depth to it so I’m not concerned.

Speed instability can also be caused by a dry motor bearings worn springs, perrished gromets, a hardened idler drive roller, the inside of the platter should be polished as smooth as possible , the magnetic break being pooly positioned, and poor electrical contact on the crappy push to make mains switch on the 401.

Garrard by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alan.

Some more info, looks like the Mk2 & 3 uses a shim or cap betweeen the ball and the bottom of to bearing spindle so there can be no wear on the original spindle.
    Think I'll upgrade mine to the mk 3

A Review from TNT Mk 1
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/kokomo_e.html

Mk2 review

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/kokomo2_e.html

Mk3
    http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/en/kok...rrard-301-401/

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123