+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technics Sl1210 Mk2 - Platter dampening suggestions.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Does the platter ring when it's in place? Many platters do ring like bells when held up and rapped, but Linn and Thorens two-piece platters basically self damp when placed together..

The Techie mat is a good gauge rubber for good reason methinks For cost's sake, try a cheap cork mat on top of it and see if it floats your boat. Only a tenner to risk if you don't like the result...
    Hi Dave, my mat of choice is a cork/nitrile choice. This works best of all I've tried. I also liked it on the Rega deck.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynster View Post
    Without the budget yet for an ETP platter, I did two things. First was using Blu Tac under the magnet, see post 48 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-damping/page5). This damped quite a rattle that the magnet assembly had previously when tapped. Secondly, I added an SDS isoplatmat under the Herbies mat I already had. Between them, platter is quite dead and I really didn't want to remove the original under platter damping so I could keep it as original as possible with minimal work. Just me I guess but very happy with the outcome.
    Thanks for that. I might give that a go as its simple, cheap and reversable if no improvement.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    ...and it's safe for the bearing to have an extra 1.5lb mass on it?
    Yes it is fine. I would however put a Oyaide BR one under the MJ-12. The combination works very well imho/experience, better than the MJ12 on its own.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 11-04-2016 at 12:49.
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    ...and it's safe for the bearing to have an extra 1.5lb mass on it?
    It wasn't a problem on my Technics before or after the Mike new bearing, the standard bearing is well known to perform well with various record weights and years of DJ abuse.

In actual fact the MJ-12 is probably is more used on an SL than any other TT. I wouldn't want it on my Sondek though but really shines with the SL.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Yes it is fine. I would however put a Oyaide BR one under the MJ-12. The combination works very well imho/experience, better than the MJ12 on its own.
    Yes, I had one with mine.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    There is a thread somewhere on here where Dynamat was used. I'll have a quick look for it.
    I did that with mine and am quite pleased with the results. In comparison, the stock under mat might as well be a piece of paper.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Lynton.

Thanks for that. I might give that a go as its simple, cheap and reversable if no improvement.
    I didn't take any photos unfortunately Rich but I didn't do the full 3mm ring suggested in that post but simply used 4 small pads (less than 1 square cm) of BluTac equally spaced and clear of holes/obstructions so I could easily pull or prise it apart if necessary. When bolted up the BT squeezes and welds nicely (hence smallish pads) but can be easily parted. Never have though as there was quite a positive difference before and after.
    Lyn

I'm Leslie.

Try my 285mm Isoplatmat, it fits inside the lip. If you don't like it I'll give a full refund less postage costs.
    http://sounddampedsteel.com/hifi.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12