+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streaming from Ubuntu Laptop to Marantz NA-7004 via FooBar2000 and wine

I'm Rob.

Default Streaming from Ubuntu Laptop to Marantz NA-7004 via FooBar2000 and wine

In the past, I've struggled to be able to stream music from my Linux Laptop. So I've always done it from an Android devices instead (tablet or phone via BubbleUPnP). However, I thought I'd have another hunt round and found a solution. Install foobar2000 via Wine and then add the foobar UPnP renderer component.

With everything installed, I can go to file > preferences (ctr-P) to open the Preferences window. Then go to Playback > Output, and in the Device dropdown my Marantz NA-7004 is listed. I select that and the music from my laptop is streamed to the NA-7004. Excellent.

There is another component that lets you pull music from UPnP servers. With that I can browse my NAS (network harddrive), select and add music to the foo play list.

It's not pretty - but it's working a treat.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    In the past, I've struggled to be able to stream music from my Linux Laptop. So I've always done it from an Android devices instead (tablet or phone via BubbleUPnP). However, I thought I'd have another hunt round and found a solution. Install foobar2000 via Wine and then add the foobar UPnP renderer component.

With everything installed, I can go to file > preferences (ctr-P) to open the Preferences window. Then go to Playback > Output, and in the Device dropdown my Marantz NA-7004 is listed. I select that and the music from my laptop is streamed to the NA-7004. Excellent.

There is another component that lets you pull music from UPnP servers. With that I can browse my NAS (network harddrive), select and add music to the foo play list.

It's not pretty - but it's working a treat.
    Try Kodi

I'm Rob.

Thanks Richard. Kodi is a nice option. The only problem I have with it is that it's not easy to send an album to the Marantz - only individual tracks.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Thanks Richard. Kodi is a nice option. The only problem I have with it is that it's not easy to send an album to the Marantz - only individual tracks.
    have you tried VLC?

If you click Ctrl+L or navigatie to <View> then <Playlist> you can select <Local Network> and there you have the uPnP option. Select your "Media Server" and off you go.

What linux distro you are on? If you on Ubuntu or Mint it should work.
    Let me know how it goes

I'm Marc.

Have you tried the pretty large range of DNLA / UPnP servers available for ubuntu?

https://www.danbishop.org/2014/04/28...ers-on-ubuntu/ has some examples.

I'm Rob.

Thanks Marc, but I want my laptop to be a client, rather than a server. I don't want to have to go to my Marantz and tell it to pull music from my laptop because the remote control of the Marantz is fairly basic (it was OK when I had a small collection of Albums on my NAS box, but has become unwieldy as my collection has grown). Also my NAS box acts as a DNLA/Upnp server already.

Rather I want to send music from the laptop to the Marantz. In effect, I want to use my laptop as a remote control for the Marantz.
    Rob.