+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Amp of the glowy kind.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alan.

Default Head Amp of the glowy kind.

Can you guess what it is yet?

Built yesterday into an old analogue satellite receiver case, which actually turned out to be about the right size.
    I wanted to make a valve based head amp so I can test sound differences with various output caps, but with more than a couple of volts across the caps.

Experimental valve head amp:

Based around a 9V transformer (bottom left in the photo) to feed the heater regulator, plus a 17V/230V transformer (top left) to give approx 110V AC for the HT rectifier.

Ignore the transistors, links and resistors on the PCB, they were just part of the satellite power supply. The heater regulator is on the heatsink, rather OTT for the dissipation needed.
    The third piece of iron is another transformer used as a choke, about 33 Henrys, then followed by a MOSFET capacitance multiplier, essential to reduce hum to acceptable levels.

The business end, simplicity in itself:

How does it sound I hear you ask, pretty bl**y fabulous
    There is some tube rush but not bad at all, about the same as surface noise you might get on some vinyl. I'm very happy with the choice of valve, I had to swap one that was a bit noisier.

Valves are from my 'stock box' so have cost next to nothing, they are miniature 7 pin single triodes, EC900:

Gain is a useful x21, is it microphonic? Of course it is , though within acceptable limits.

Very pleased with the outcome.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Wow didn't expect you to go down this route Alan.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

I won't be offering any for sale, hence the post is under 'The Drawing Board'.

I suppose it is/was a bit of an itch I had to scratch. I'll bring it over next time we are in the UK.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I won't be offering any for sale, hence the post is under 'The Drawing Board'.

I suppose it is/was a bit of an itch I had to scratch. I'll bring it over next time we are in the UK.

Great, look forward to hearing that. How do you think it compares to the tranny head amp?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Looks great Alan!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Richard.

Not much room in there for "proper" caps!
    ABD.

I'm Alan.

Compared to the FET amp it is definitely noisier, but I would say they are equal in their transparency.

Plenty of room for 'proper' caps. That is part of the reason for the build, to try with a selection of output caps.

To be continued............

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You could always fit anti-microphonic valve bases, if you can find some B7G type. What is the output impedance?
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What is the output impedance?
    Just measured it Barry and it is 3K ohm

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How about a hybrid to get the noise floor down?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast